Thursday, December 25, 2008

Pizelle Cookies For Papa

These are the type of cookies my Papa in MI loves. Not too sweet, and with just a hint of anise flavoring. Since I couldn't be there with him this Christmas, I thought I'd send him a bit of love. Along with these cookies I sent him hazelnut biscotti (without the chocolate paint), sugar cookies, and apricot jelly. I'm hoping he'll be here soon after Christmas, because I really do miss him.


I came across this recipe, and I knew it was sure to please my father. It seemed authentic, and full of love and family, I just had to use it. Plus, I am in love with Food Blogga's blog.

I have a toastmaster pizzelle maker that I bought for my mother and myself a while back. I have only used it a handful of times, so I was pleased to see that Susan of Food Blogga gave it her approval, and excited to dust it off and start the pizzelle making process.
Papa got the pizzelles on Christmas Eve, (only a few cracked after careful packaging), and was enjoying one just now while I was talking on the phone. Merry Christmas!


Pizzelles ( I halved the recipe)
(Food Blogga)

6 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks), melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract1 (or 2) teaspoons anise seed**( I used vanilla)
1 tablespoon anise extract ( I only used a tsp and a half)
4 tablespoons baking powder
7 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat pizzelle iron.
Coat with cooking spray and wipe off excess with a paper towel. You do not have to re-apply. Beat eggs and sugar. Add cooled melted butter, vanilla extract, and anise extract. Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl and add to the egg mixture. Beat for a few minutes, or until the batter becomes thick. It will have a dough-like consistency. Knead with your hands for a couple of minutes until dough is smooth and has a sheen. With your hands, roll into one-inch round balls and place in the center of the pizzelle iron grids.

**I found flattening them a bit, rather than leaving them in balls made them more consistent**
Close the cover of the iron and bake for about 45 seconds, or until golden brown. Remove from iron and place on a cookie rack to cool.Dust with confectioner's before serving, if desired. Pizzelles will last for a couple of weeks if stored in an air-tight container and kept in a cool area.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

These all look so beautiful and I'm jealous you have a pizzelle iron! I should really keep an eye out for an antique/old one soon so I can start making pizzelles!

Anonymous said...

I have never made pizelles before nor have I ever tasted one. Wow, it looks like I am missing out on something good!

Anonymous said...

I use your recipe, susans, but with the 6 eggs, we only use 3 1/2 cups of flour...i use the recipe for 30 years and they come out much thinner...thank you