Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hazelnut Biscotti Painted with Chocolate

As a shower gift for my wedding, I recieved Betty Crocker's Bridal Edition keepsake cookbook from my Aunt Nancy. Now that I got the new addition to my kitchen, (yay!!!)

I was itching to break this baby in, so I needed a recipe. I decided I didn't want to get too crazy since it was already 8pm, and I got the idea of making biscotti to go with my morning coffee.
I originally browsed through Dorie Greenspan's cookbook, but her biscotti recipe called for instant expresso, which I didn't have. So I moved on to the next book, and that was Betty's.
I found a hazelnut biscotti recipe I knew would taste great. And the good news was that I could finally use up the hazelnuts I bought a couple months ago for a daring bakers challenge I wasn't able to complete.
This was the first time I made biscotti and they were fantastic. The chocolate was an addition I made, it just seemed like the right thing to do. ; )
Hazelnut Biscotti
(Betty Crocker)
1 cup hazelnuts (filberts), coarsley chopped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Heat oven to 350.
spread hazelnuts in ungreased shallow pan. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally, until golden brown; cool.
In large bowl, beat suar, butter, eggs and extracts with a mixer on medium speed. Stir in flour, soda and baking powder. Stir in hazelnuts. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple minutes until hazelnuts are evenly distributed.
Divide dough in half. On one side of ungreased cookie sheet, shape half of dough into 10 x 3 inch rectangle, rounding edges slightly. Repeat with remaining dough on same cookie sheet.
bake about 25 minutes or until center is firm to the touch. Cool on cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
Move to a cutting board and cut crosswise in 1/2 inch slices.
place 20 slices cut side down, on cookie sheet and bake about 15 minutes more.
Remove from oven and cool.
Chocolate paint
1/2 cup semi sweet choc. chips
1 tbs half and half
1 tsp. butter
Heat all in a microwave safe bowl for 10 second intervals until melted. Paint one side of biscotti with pastry brush, and let harden. Enjoy with coffee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm TOTALLY serious when I say that this pic of the biscotti and coffee looks so goo dit makes me want to have an Italian dinner just so I can serve these for dessert. Love it!

Maryanna said...

I've always wanted to make biscotti, and this will be the first recipe I'll make. I love hazelnut and chocolate. Yummmmm.

Michele said...

As much as I love biscotti, I've never made it at home myself. Due to the fact that I used to have an Italian bakery on the corner. Now that the bakery is 500 miles away I will have to try your version, they look fabulous!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats on the new Kitchen Aid - they are the best!