Monday, December 29, 2008

Daring Bakers: French Yule Log


Another Challenge with the DBer's: French Yule Log

To say that this month's recipe was "Daring" is putting it lightly. When I printed it out, in 10 pt. font, it was 12 pages long. I must have looked at the pages a trillion times before I could even come up with a preliminary game plan.


This month's challenge is brought to us by the adventurous Hilda from Saffron and Blueberry and Marion from Il en Faut Peu Pour Etre Heureux.They have chosen a French Yule Log by Flore from Florilege Gourmand.

This Buche is quite different than your typical jelly roll. It has elements people. 6 of them. So think of this one recipe as 6 or 7 recipes in one. The elements are:



1. Dacquoise Biscuit (or almond cake)



2. Dark chocolate mousse
3. Dark chocolate ganache insert ( I chose to do a cinnamon-chocolate ganache)
4. Praline Feuillete (crisp) insert (I had to make my own praline paste)

Here is a pic of the praline paste before pulverizing


And After


Here is the final crisp. I ended up using corn flakes. And let me tell you, it was divine all by itself!



5. Vanilla Creme Brulee insert

This took quite a while to cook. Much longer than the 1 hour the recipe states. I think my water bath might not have been hot enough.


6. Dark Chocolate icing


This was by far the most challenging recipe I have made with the DB group. It was a load of fun, although I incurred a lot of dirty dishes, a burn, and a cut, but I'm so happy I pressed on despite the difficulties (the gavottes- thin crispy crepes only found in France, which I attmepted to make myself. ugh, I will need to try this again.)

Merci! Hilda and Marion for a truly daring experience!

You can get the entire recipe for FRENCH YULE LOG OR ENTREMETS RECIPE by Flore of Florilège Gourmand here, it is a doosey. : )


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! I have yet to tackle anything like this. Maybe someday...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very well done! Your log looks really beautiful and elegant!

Cheers,

Rosa

Erin said...

Wow, that turned out beautiful! I decided to skip this month, because I've been swamped at work, but it looks like a rewarding challenge. Great job!

That Girl said...

It's interesting to see the various incarnations of the yule log!

Engineer Baker said...

Beautiful job! I really liked the cinnamon idea, and then forgot to use it :P

raquel said...

what a wonderful shot of the layers before freezing and icing! and the log looked so festive and delicious!!! Excellent job!

Anonymous said...

Your log has a real christmas-touch. Very nice!

Ethan said...

so festive! and yes, so many dishes. I think cleaning up was harder than making the dessert, and not nearly as rewarding.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Great job!!! Love your crisp! It's perfect!

PAM said...

Your Yule Log is beautiful. Great pictures and documentation of the whole process. Congratulations on a daring challenge.

Anonymous said...

How pretty!! I love all the pictures of the layers. Great job.

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! Your layers are so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely buche de Noel and beautifuly decorated:)
It was a wonderfull challenge, I am sure you agree:)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Kudos on a great job! The layers looks amazing and I think it's great you tackled this complex recipe!

Hilda said...

Fantastic job! I'm so glad you had fun making it even as the most challenging recipe with the DBs (but that's what it's all about right? To be DARING) We had similar ideas for the decoration. =) Have a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Your decorations on the log are awesome!!! You really did a wonderful job! I happened to keep scrolling and SOOOOO am craving some of those cinnamon biscuit rolls.... and the pizelles looked super yumm too! great blog!

Baker at Law said...

Your log looks so festive with the cinnamon sticks! The different layers really make this dessert special. Congrats on all the compliments and Great challenge. Happy New Year.

hexe said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I was right there with you when I printed out the recipe. It took me a bit to wrap my mind around the six different layers.

Anonymous said...

Oh very nice looking log!

Esi said...

Yours looks wonderful! It took me a while to figure out the layers too. I really had no idea how it would work until I put it together. Nice job :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your log looks so prettily decorated.
I think the things we all agree aboot here was the initial fright on seeing the challenge, the dirty dishes to wash and how lovely the dessert was.:)

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Dharm said...

Well Done! It certainly looks great and yes, this was an awesome challenge!!

breadchick said...

I love the cinnamon sticks along the edge. How lovely your log looks.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how good your log looks. Good on you carrying on after the cut and the burn. I love this log and will be making it for some friends and some birthdays. It was the smash hit at the New Year's Eve BBQ. Happy NY to you and your family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful log, love how you decorated it! This was a challenging challenge indeed ;)

Gretchen Noelle said...

You did a lovely job! The dirty dishes this caused? It still haunts me!

~Amber~ said...

You did such an awesome job. Congratulations to you!

Cristine said...

Great job! Looks wonderful!