Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes for Nancy

Probably my favorite cupcake ever. And I used boxed cake mix. (no flames please) ; )
I originally made these probably close to a year ago. My friend Nancy remembered how much she liked them, so she requested them for her birthday. How could I turn her down?
They are really rather simple to make, and so worth it. I used Publix brand "oreos" since they were much, much, cheaper than the real deal. But who can taste the difference?

The part I really love is the cookie on the bottom. I like to call it a crunchy little surprise.


Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

1 box french vanilla cake mix
30 oreo "style" cookies
1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350
Line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake liners.

Take 12 oreos and split them in half. (try to get icing on both sides). Put the halved oreos in the cupcake liners icing side up.
Crush the remaining oreos.
In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add 1 1/2 cups crushed oreos and mix until well combined. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full
and bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove and let cool on wire rack.


Icing:

1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a small bowl, beat together sugar,butter and salt until well combined. Increase speed to high, beating until light and fluffy. Add cream and vanilla, beating until smooth. Add the remaining oreos and beat until well combined. PUt in the fridge for 10 minutes or so to let firm up a bit before piping on the cupcakes.

Top cupcakes with 1/2 an oreo for garnish, serve, and enjoy.
My Icing got a little warm, so it wasn't as pretty as I first piped it.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Um, these look amazing... seriously. I love the oreo in the bottom!!

Aimee said...

These were delicious... thanks for posting the recipe! I like the cheese grits too, I may make them with your split pea soup tomorrow... yummy:)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to put the cookie on the bottom!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great cupcake recipe for any cookies & cream lover!

Bridget said...

Oh my gosh...those are so cool! My son would LOVE these!

Carrie said...

Wow, those look yummy!

~Amber~ said...

Oh wow, these look absolutely amazing! My husband would adore them. Great job Ally.

juri said...

they look yummy ,love them