Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cheddar and Parsley Biscuits

I made these delicious biscuits last weekend. I was flipping through a William's Sonoma baking book that I got from Chad's aunt for Christmas, and it just stood out to me. It really didn't take long at all (maybe 30-40 minutes start to finish), and was very simple to assemble. I modified the original recipe by using parsley instead of the recommended chives. I really think the original recipe could be modified a bunch of different ways to accommodate your taste.
I don't have a biscuit cutter (which with all the gadgets I do have makes me wonder why I don't own this) so I used a glass to cut the 3 inch circles.
I made some turkey sausage patties, and we enjoyed a cheddar parsley biscuit sandwich. Very yummy!

Cheddar Parsley Biscuits
(adapted from William Sonoma's Food Made Fast)
2 Cups All purpose Flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (or use your favorite)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or chives, or other herbs)
6 Tbs. unsalted butter cut into cubes
3/4 Cup milk (I used 2%)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt cheese and parsley. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives and cut in the butter cubes. Mix until coarse crumbs form (the size of peas). Add milk and stir until evenly moistened and uniform.
Lightly flour a work surface and turn out the dough. Knead a few times and shape into a ball. Pat it into a circle about 3/4 of an inch thick. Using a 3 inch biscuit cutter (or glass like I used) cut out as many biscuits as you can.
Take the scraps and form another ball and pat to 3/4 inches thick, repeat the cutting, using as many as the scraps as you can. This should give you about 12 biscuits.
Put biscuits on baking sheet about 1 inch apart, and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until they are golden. Let cool slightly and EAT!

6 comments:

That Girl said...

I'm devastated that I got a Williams Sonoma baking book for the holidays and this was most certainly not in it ;-( I bet yours has loads of other goodies too. Guess I should put this one on the wish list.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks like a fabulous recipe!

Ellie said...

Ooooh, I love cheddar and herb biscuits. These look great!

Maryanna said...

Those look so fluffy and good.

Anonymous said...

I'm making your cookies and cream cupcakes tomorrow... I've been waiting for awhile!!! I'm so excited! Love your blog and gave you an award see here http://bakinglikebetty.blogspot.com/2009/02/oreo-cheesecake-pops-my-first-ever-blog.html

~Amber~ said...

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing Ally.