Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cheesy Baked Grits Casserole

I never had grits growing up. Even when I moved to New Orleans, I probably only ate them a handful of times. Only when I was older, waiting tables, did I truly understand how wonderful they are.

Now I absolutely love them. With just butter, or even better, with butter and cheese. I was at a baby shower last weekend and someone made a cheese grits casserole. It was amazing. I could have easily eaten the entire dish. I asked for the recipe, and I am still waiting on it.
Not wanting to wait any longer, I decided to browse the web for a recipe. I checked out this recipe on Epicurious, and adapted it to my liking.
It didn't turn out like the one I had at the shower, but it was definitely delicious. Hopefully, soon I can get a hold of the other recipe so I can compare.

Cheesy Baked Grits Casserole
6 cups chicken stock
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 cups instant grits (white)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 lb Cheddar, (or any cheese you prefer, 2 cups divided, save 1/2 cup for top)
3 large eggs
1 cup 2% milk
2 Tbs. chopped parsley

Bring stock and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy pot. (4 quarts or larger)
Add grits in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until thick. It took about 10-15 minutes.
Add butter, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and cheese, stirring until butter and cheese are melted. Lightly beat eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into grits until combined.
Pour mixture into a 9x13 casserole, top with the remaining cheddar and bake for an hour. Remove from oven and top with parsley, serve immediately.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love grits! These look amazing Ally!

Anonymous said...

I've only just recently started eating grits too. I bet this recipe is awesome!

Kira said...

I had a cheesy grit casserole a few months ago that used Ro-Tel tomatoes and was so deliciously cheesy and spicy. I'm looking for a recipe like that!

Anonymous said...

MMMM good, love the picture with the melted cheese

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I don't have grits often enough but I do love how good they are! What a great idea to prepare them as a casserole!

That Girl said...

There is nothing better than hot, cheesy grits!

Leigh said...

Did you ever get the recipe from the shower?