Thursday, January 15, 2009

Split Pea Soup With Bacon, Potato, and Barley

Peas. I'm not a really big fan. Well, when they are alone that is. I am fine with them in salads, pastas etc. But on their own, not so much.

Split pea soup on the other hand, is a favorite of mine. There is something about this hearty soup that makes my heart warm. I thought it might just be because of the addition of the bacon. Because, in my opinion, bacon can really add to ANY meal. But, no. I think it is the consistency, and heartiness that makes a cold night seem warmer with this soup. (okay, and the bacon.) : )

The potato and barley in this recipe really gave it oomph too. This meal is perfect on its own, or add some bread for a real stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Oh, I tried to get the best pictures I could of this soup, but it just isn't pretty to begin with, sooo...
Split Pea Soup with Bacon, Potato, and Barley

1 lb. split peas rinsed and sorted
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup onion diced
1/2 cup celery diced
1/2 cup carrots diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbs. parsley chopped
7 strips bacon cooked and crumbled (save 1 1/2 Tbs. bacon grease)
3/4 cups barley
2 medium potatoes diced
8 cups chicken stock (or water)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat a large heavy stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add canola oil and bacon grease. When it is shimmering, add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until onion is wilted and almost carmelized. Add the peas, parsley and garlic. Saute for a few more minutes. Add stock or water and stir to combine. Cover pot and let simmer for an hour and a half, stirring occaisionally.

Uncover pot and stir. If you have an immersion blender, blend until creamy. If not, remove about 1/2 of the soup and put into a blender. Blend until creamy.
Add potatoes, barley and bacon and cook another 1/2-3/4 of an hour. Serve and Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a good version of split pea soup because there's more going on it in than just plain peas (although my husband really could eat it if it was made just from peas, lol. He loves them!)

Mary Ellen said...

My grandmother used to make this all the time but unfortunately I don't have her recipe. I'm bookmarking this one to try.

Aimee said...

I am making this tomorrow! Looks so yummy... thanks for sharing!

That Girl said...

I used to be so averse to split pea soup, and then last winter I made it and became addicted. I think you're right - there's just something about that bacon!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great way to jazz up split pea soup!

Anonymous said...

looks great ally! i am planning on making my first split pea soup next week. it's one of those things i'm not really sure i will like but want to try again. haha. this version looks great, though, with the barley and bacon!

Aimee said...

Okay Ally! I made the soup today BUT... once it was done it was very thick - like the consistancy of babyfood??? I went ahead and portioned it out and put it in the freezer, but what do I do to make it more soupy when I re-heat it? Add more water? Chicken stock? Thanks ma'am! (PS... I think my "simmer" was actually a boil, thus the problem!)

Ally said...

Hey Fred's Mom! You can definitely add water (or stock/broth) to thin it out. Just add until it is the consistency you desire. : )

gaga said...

I love split pea soup and love barley too. Putting them together is a great idea!

Kelly said...

How many servings does this make? Can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Ally said...

This could probably feed 8-10 easily, hope this helps Kelly!