Monday, October 13, 2008

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars


Last week I was flipping through Ina's cookbook and saw this recipe. I planned on making them the next day, but other things prevented me from doing so. I promised to make them on the weekend and last night was the perfect time to do it. These were very simple to do, and the ingredient list is short. Most of the stuff you already have on hand, so no special trip to the grocery store.

They are like a peanut butter cookie with a yummy fruit filling. I thought they were pretty rich, and could only eat like 3 or 4 in one sitting, lol. Seriously, they are so good, and even the richness didn't keep me away.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
(Barefoot Contessa at Home)

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs (at room temperature)
2 Cups creamy peanut butter (18 oz)
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting pan
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 cups raspberry jam or other jam (18 oz)
2/3 cups chopped salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together (Ina uses her KA mixer, but I still don't have one) on medium speed until light yellow, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla, eggs and peanut butter until well combined.
In a small bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix just until combined. Spread 2/3 of the dough in the prepared pan, using a knife to spread it evenly. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Drop small small globs of the dough evenly over the jam. Don't worry if all the jam isn't covered; the dough will spread. Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and bake for 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, they look so ooey gooey!!

Maryanna said...

I love PB&J, and this is a good twist to the good 'ol sandwich.

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! Every time I look at this recipe I tell myself that I need to make them but I haven't gotten to yet. I'll have to make them now that you've given them such a great review!

Cate said...

ANOTHER recipe added to my must-bake list. Those photos are gorgeous!

Cara said...

"I thought they were pretty rich, and could only eat like 3 or 4 in one sitting, lol. Seriously, they are so good, and even the richness didn't keep me away."

I am the same way! None of this "It's so rich, you just need a little piece." nuh uh. These sound fabulous, I heart pb&j!

Sara said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and everything looks delicious! I love Ina Gartens PB & J bars. I've only made them once before, but I remember them being wonderful and perfect for a pb&j fan, like me.

Patsyk said...

Those look so good! I'm sure they wouldn't last more than a day in my house!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! Looks like a perfect afterschool snack!!

susan said...

ooh, ur pb&j bars look amazing!

Maria said...

Look at all of that PB!! HEAVEN!!!