Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sausage Stuffed Shells

I have to say this is a first( that I can think of anyway). Cooking from the back of a box that is. When I was putting the groceries away, I noticed the stuffed shell recipe on the back of my Ronzoni box. It looked decent so I decided that was the way I was going to prepare my shells.
I did modify the recipe a bit, but for the most part I stuck to the basics.
They came out wonderful, and I had enough to feed 8. Unfortunately, there was only Chad and I so we ended up eating them for a couple of days for our lunches.
I made my own marinara instead of using a jar, one, because I rarely have jarred sauces in my pantry, and two, it is so simple to make your own.


Sausage Stuffed Shells
(Ronzoni Box)
My modifications in red
Ingredients:

1 pkg. (12 oz.) RONZONI Jumbo Shells, uncooked
1 1/2 lb italian sausage casing removed
4 eggs, slightly beaten ( I only used 2)
3/4 cup flavored dry bread crumbs
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves minced
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups (about 28-oz. jar) spaghetti sauce (used my own recipe, see below)
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
( I used 1/2 cup and mixed it with the mozzarella)
2 Tbs. fresh chopped basil

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
Cool in single layer on foil.
Heat oven to 350°F.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, brown meat; drain. (I sauteed the onion and garlic with the meat)
In large bowl, stir together meat, eggs, bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese (I used the combo of parm and mozzarella), onion, oregano, salt and pepper.
Fill each shell with about 2 tablespoons meat filling.
Spread thin layer of sauce on bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
Place filled shells in prepared baking dish; cover with remaining sauce.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Cover with foil.
Bake 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. (I uncovered the last 6 minutes to let the top brown)
Simple Marinara
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tbs. minced onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 16oz. can of tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup beef stock or broth
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. fresh or dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
pinch of sugar
tsp. fresh chopped parsley
Heat olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and sautee a couple minutes. Add garlic and sautee about 30 seconds more. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

MrsSchoon said...

Yum! My husband has requested I make stuffed shells next week, too.

Erin said...

One of my FAVORITE things. These look sooooo good!

That Girl said...

I really don't make stuffed shells enough.

Anonymous said...

These look so good!