Monday, October 13, 2008

Individual Pepper Jack Au Gratins

To go with our roasted chicken dinner below, I decided to have au gratin potatoes as an accompaniment. Not wanting to make a huge batch, I decided to use the cute 16oz. croning ware I recieved as a wedding gift.

I loved having my own individual serving dish, so cute! The potatoes were fantastic with the pepper jack, but any cheese will do.

Individual Pepper Jack Au Gratins
(makes 2 servings)
2 medium potatoes sliced thin
1/4 cup onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup milk ( I used 2%)
2 1/2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
fresh grated nutmeg ( or use ground 1/4 tsp.)
salt and pepper
4 slices pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400
Heat butter over medium heat. When heated, add onions. Cook for a couple minutes and add garlic. Cook another minute and add flour. Whisk to make a roux. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for a minute or so until thickened. Add nutmeg and mix well.

To assemble the gratins:
Grease the mini casseroles with butter and lay sliced potatoes flat. Add a bit of the bechamel (milk, flour, butter combo). Lay a slice of cheese on top. Keep assembling until all ingredients are used. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook 5-10 minutes more or until the top gets a nice brown color.

4 comments:

Maryanna said...

What a great side dish! I really need to work on my side item skillz. :)

That Girl said...

I think everything tastes better in individual portions.

Angie said...

Yum! I am looking for ways to use my 12 oz. ramekins I bought to make pot pies in and these just might be the next thing I try in those!

Kayte said...

these look amazing ally! that cheesy top is making me drool...