Sunday, February 15, 2009

Strawberry Banana Bread with Pecans

The thought of banana bread entered my mind when I was buying a bunch last week when they were on sale. Rarely do I finish my bananas before they start to get those nasty black spots all over them. This doesn't make me unhappy though, instead, I get excited because there is just so much you can do with over ripe bananas. My favorite stand by is to make banana bread.
I wanted to make a different kind of banana bread this time, and the thought of strawberries came to mind. So I bought a bag of frozen strawberries (with the intent to use the rest for strawberry shakes, mmmmm) and made a plan to make a strawberry banana bread.
I wasn't planning on adding the pecans, but I have tons of them thanks to my mother-in-law. She has a tree, and gathered up a huge bag full for me. Yesterday I shelled some during my morning coffee, and thought they would make a very nice addition to the bread I was planning on making.
The kitchen smelled wonderful while this baked, and it tasted even better. Just the right amount of banana and strawberry, a perfect balance.


Strawberry Banana Bread with Pecans

1 stick unsalted butter softened
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1.2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. chopped pecans (or any other nut you prefer)
3 over ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries chopped
2 eggs beaten

Preheat oven to 375, and butter a 8.5"or 9" loaf pan.

In a small bowl add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk together.
In a larger bowl add butter, sugars, and eggs. Cream together until smooth and well combined, then stir in the vanilla. Add mashed bananas, and strawberries and stir until strawberries are evenly distributed. Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time folding until no white is visible. Add pecans and gently fold into batter.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a thin knife comes out clean.
Let cool on rack before slicing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! I love the idea of strawberries and bananas together.

Anonymous said...

SUPER YUM! This looks SO delicious! I want some now!

Aimee said...

I was drooling when you said you were making this. Can you actually taste the strawberries or does the banana take over? I want to make this when Ty is here next week... I suppose I should go buy bananas now so that they get old!

That Girl said...

I would never have thought to put in pecans!

~Amber~ said...

I absolutely love strawberry bread! I like almonds in mine though. This looks amazing.