Monday, February 16, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas

When I bought a rotessirie chicken the other day, I planned on making chicken pot pie with it. But, I just wasn't in the mood for it the next day. I knew I had to use the chicken soon, so I narrowed down a list of possibilities to chicken tetrazzini, chicken stew, or the enchiladas. Enchiladas won. Mostly because I really wanted something cheesy.
I added refried beans to my mixture this time, and it was oh so good.

Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups chicken cooked
1/2 can refried beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes pulsed in the food processor a few times (or just use tomato sauce)
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth (divided)
1 1/2 Tbs. chili power (divided)
1 1/2 Tbs. cumin (divided)
2 tsp. smoked paprika (divided)
2 tsp. oregano (divided)
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/2 poblano pepper finely chopped
1 small/medium onion finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves minced
2 Tbs. parsley chopped
12 corn tortillas warmed in the microwave for about 30 seconds
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (or a Mexican blend)
2 Tbs. olive oil
Sour cream for garnish.

Preheat oven to 350

Heat a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add tomato products,1 1/4 cup chicken stock, 1 Tbs. of the chili powder, 1 Tbs. of the cumin, 1 tsp. of the paprika, and 1 tsp. of the oregano. Add salt, pepper to taste, then add the pinch of sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer, and let simmer for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, pepper and parsley. Let saute for about 4 minutes and add chicken and the rest of the spices (salt and pepper too if you like), beans and stock. Stir until well combined and cook for about 5 minutes.
Put a little sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Put about 2 Tbs. of chicken mixture on one end of a corn tortilla and roll up.
Place seam down in the pan.
Repeat until all tortillas are used. Pour about 1-1/2 cups of sauce on top of enchiladas and top with cheese.Bake covered for 10 minutes, and uncovered for another 10, or until cheese is nice and bubbly. Serve with sour cream.

**I had a bit of sauce leftover. This can be put in the freezer for a later use.**


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! We eat chicken enchiladas all the time- it's our favorite dinner! I'll have to use refried beans in them next time.

Kristen616 said...

These look delicious! Now I'm in the mood for enchiladas tonight!

Aimee said...

Oh I want these now!!!

Anonymous said...

I just made these a few days ago and they were wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

These look amazing - I have been on an enchilada kick lately. I can't wait to try these!