Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chewy Chunky Blondies

I haven't updated in a while, but I have a good reason. Being in my first trimester (I'm at the tail end) I haven't been in the mood for most foods.

So that means, no exciting recipes. But, I'm slowly starting to feel better (thank GOD).
I had a big craving for some blondies the other night, so I took out my Dorie baking book and found the perfect recipe.
I modified only slightly, and they turned out just how I imagined, amazing.
I took them to work, and I left with none. I'm so grateful I have friends that enjoy sweets that I bring, there is no way I'd be able to (or might I say, NEED TO) finish a whole pan of these.

Chewy Chunky Blondies
(Baking from my home to yours, Dorie Greenspan)

2 C. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used a combo of walnut and pecan)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 baking pan.

whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Beat butter on medium speed (using either a stand mixer or hand held) until creamy and smooth. Add both sugars and beat for about 3 minutes until well combined. Add eggs individually, beating for one minute after each addition, then add the vanilla.
Reduce the speed to low, and slowly add flour mixture until well combined. Fold in the chocolate, nuts and coconut. Scrape batter into pan and let cook for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Transfer to a rack to cool, and then cut into squares.

8 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Wow! Those do look amazing, and it's nice to hear you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Holy gooey yumminess! I need one of these stat! :)

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! I am going to make these pronto. Congrats on your first trimester, how exciting.

Aimee said...

And they really were delicious! Thanks for sharing with us! BTW - Fred got into the trash for the 3rd time today... I had dumped some leftover split pea soup in there last night (yours) and he ate it all... can't wait to see what morning brings!

Anonymous said...

These look really delicious! I love blondies, but I haven't tried Dorie's version yet. I've also found that the teacher's lounge is a great place to leave treats :) Glad you are feeling better!

That Girl said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I feel like everyone has a rough first trimester - except apparently my mother who remembers pregnancy being the best time in her entire life. But I definitely think part of that is a ploy for grandkids.

Caroline said...

Those look just plain amazing!!

Ellie said...

Woah - these look like they are chock full of delicious goodness!!!