Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pumpkin Walnut Bread

While I was flipping through my latest issue of Gourmet, I came across this little gem of a recipe. I had all the ingredients except the pumpkin. No problem since I needed to go to the grocery store anyway. I didn't have the ground cloves it called for so I omitted them, I really wish I would have made a darn list when I went to the store, ugh!

My house smelled wonderful while it baked for the 55 mnutes, omg I was salivating! I ended up using pure pumpkin in a can, and probably a little more than the 9 oz. it called for.
I also decided a drizzle of glaze would be nice so I whipped some up.
This bread would be perfect for breakfast, after dinner or even for a snack. Of course, this recipe screams fall, which it will soon be getting to feel like here in Atl.

Pumpkin Walnut Bread
(Gourmet October, 2008)
2 cups AP flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. all spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I probably added 2 tsp. I love the stuff!)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves ( I omitted due to not having a list!)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (I used the pure canned pumpkin)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (canola)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350
coat a 9x5 loaf pan with butter and line with parchment paper

Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger and salt until thouroughly blended. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs and water. Add the sugar and blend well. Add the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and vanilla and blend well.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the walnuts and stir until they are evenly distributed. Use a spatula to scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and level the top.
bake for 55-60 minutes, until the bread is firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.

**Note** I acidentally added ground coriander (1 tsp) by mistake. It still tasted wonderful, maybe even better!

9 comments:

Cate said...

WOW...that looks beyond amazing. I kind of want to try it with coriander!

That Girl said...

I hate when I forget to check the pantry before heading to the store. It always leads to...interesting recipes. Your sub sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, the inside of that bread looks EVEN more amazing with the outside. And you KNOW how much I love glaze! :)

Kira said...

Yum! I am a giant sucker for pumpkin bread.

Erin said...

I meant to buy canned pumpkin last weekend, but also didn't have a list and forgot it. Very soon I NEED to make something pumpkin flavored, because it's totally that time of year. I think this might be a good recipe to try, thanks!

Rachel said...

I made this same recipe! I wish I would have thought to add a glaze!! What a yummy recipe.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I love pumpkin bread. I bet your house smelled heavenly while it was baking!

Photography & Photoshop Fun said...

Umm can i come eat at your house pleassseeee?
jody

~Amber~ said...

I bet this was amazing!! It looks delicious.