Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup w/ Orzo and Meatballs

My 2nd night cooking in my NEW kitchen! How exciting! Last night I made chicken makhani and tonight dh requested soup since the weather was getting cooler. I used what I had on hand and came up with a tomato basil soup. I decided to add orzo and meatballs to it to make it a bit heartier, and it was quite a meal!

Meatballs
1 lb ground sirloin
2 slices wheat bread toasted and processed
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 C. grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
Preheat oven to 350
Mix all ingredients well and roll into mini meatballs. Cover cookie sheet with foil and place a cooking rack on top. Put meatballs on the cooling rack and put in oven. cook for 20-25 minutes.
When finished, take out of oven and set aside.
Tomato Basil soup
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic minced
2/3 cup fresh basil coarsly chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup orzo (raw) cooked according to package directions
1 cup half and half
1 stick unsalted butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
Over med. high heat put tomato products, stock, and garlic in a large stock pot. Let come to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add basil and with an immersion blender, blend until smooth and pureed (this can be done in a blender as well). Add butter and half and half and whisk until well blended.
Add meat balls and orzo and serve with parmesan cheese.

13 comments:

Erin said...

Looks great!

Patsyk said...

I love soups that you can throw together using what you have on hand. Yours sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I love the combination of flavors and ingredients, especially the meatballs!

That Girl said...

Happy New Kitchen! I love the addition of orzo.

Cate said...

I just LOVE tomato soup. Bonus points for the meatballs!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious -- perfect for dinner on a chilly day like today!

Anonymous said...

I don't even like Tomato Soup, but your post has convinced me to try it again. Looks wonderful!

Maryanna said...

I love tomato basil soup, and DH would love it this way b/c it has meat in it.

Kate said...

It looks good! So exciting about the new kitchen!!

Colleen said...

This looks amazing! I can't wait to make it!

Unknown said...

I've been gathering my soup recipes for fall/winter and can't wait to make them. This will definitely be added :)

Anonymous said...

The soup looks so comforting and delicious! Congrats on the new kitchen!

Ruth Daniels said...

Fabulous looking soup and best of luck in your new kitchen. I'm sure all your meals will be equally delicious.

And whenever you make any pasta dishes I hope you share with Presto Pasta Nights weekly roundups.