Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Brownies w/ Pecans

I was itching to make something this evening and remembered I had another can of pumpkin left in my pantry. What better time of year to use it? I wanted something fairly simple, without a lot of techniques/ingredients involved. I decided to make this recipe. This took less than a 1/2 hour to prepare and then another 25-30 to bake. I mostly wanted to bake because I'm in love with my new kitchen! I promise to post pics, but I want to wait until the painting etc. is complete.

I decided to make a double batch, some for dh and his coworkers, and some for mine. I didn't use the brand's specified, and I modified the recipe a bit (my changes in orange). They came out just as I expected, delicious!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Brownies w/ Pecans
(adapted from Nestle's Very Best Baking)

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1/3 cup brown sugar blend (such as SPLENDA) (I just used light brown sugar)
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil ( for my dbl batch I used 2 Tbs. oil and 2 Tbs. unsalted butter melted and cooled)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
( I used Ghiradelli and added 1/2 cup pecan pieces)

PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

Spray 8- or 9-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
COMBINE pumpkin, sugar blend, egg, egg whites and oil in large mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon, allspice, salt and nutmeg. Beat on low speed until batter is smooth. Stir in morsels. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares.
(I sprinkled with powdered sugar for a little extra sweetness. )

*Note* I used a 9X13 for my doubled recipe

6 comments:

That Girl said...

I always put walnuts in brownies - I'll have to try pecans.

Michele said...

all this talk of pumpkin....now I have to make something today with pumpkin. After seeing these bars I'm craving it!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I'll have to add this to my list of fall sweets to make.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, those look SOOO good. And I LOVE the additiona of the pecans!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm pumpkin, chocolate chips and pecans. Looks like the perfect combination!

~Amber~ said...

These look amazing.