Monday, June 2, 2008

Herb Infused Gnocchi with Parsley Garlic Brown Butter Sauce

I impressed myself tonight. I love gnocchi but I was always a little intimidated to prepare my own. Since I bought a potato ricer this past weekend I thought of all the recipes I could use it for. One that came to mind was gnocchi. I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle something new this week, but then I though, what the hell? I am on summer vacation!

So I browsed some recipes looking for the perfect gnocchi but didn't find one. So I made up my own recipe using bits and pieces of others.
I decided to pan fry the gnocchi after boiling. It really gave them a wonderful bite. I topped with the parsley and garlic brown butter sauce and served with chicken apple sausage.
I am very happy with myself for attempting and conquering the gnocchi, it was not difficult at all.

Herb Infused Gnocchi
2 lbs. potatoes (I used russet)
1 egg beaten
1 1/4 + unbleached AP flour sifted
1 Tbs. finely chopped oregano

preheat oven to 400 degrees
Wash potatoes and pierce with a fork all over to let steam escape while baking. Bake potatoes for 40-60 minutes or until baked through.
Remove skin from potatoes and roughly chop. transfer potatoes to a ricer and rice the potatoes in a seperate bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
add egg and flour and use a wooden spoon to combine. sprinkle flour on a counter and work dough making sure all the flour is combined. When dough is no longer sticky, grab a chunk and roll into ropes about 3/4 " thick. Cut into 1 " pieces and roll on the back of a fork to make indentations (this is to capture sauce, but it isn't necessary).
Boil water in a large pot and drop in the gnocchi. When the float to the top they are done.
To pan fry add a little oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add gnocchi and saute until they are browned.

Parsley and Garlic Brown Butter Sauce

6 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Melt butter over med low heat. Let it foam and bubble for about 3 minutes. Add parsley and garlic and let cook about 3 minutes longer. Serve on top of gnocchi.

17 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! I love browned gnocchi for the added texture and flavor. Your use of oregano in the dough is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Ally, these look absolutely fabulous! Great use of your summer vacation :) I can't wait to try this, I have it starred!

ashley said...

ally - looks delicious!!

Elly said...

these look perfect, ally! gnocchi is on my to-try list. i really would like to make my own and this recipe looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ally! That gnocchi turned out PERFECTLY! It looks like a high end store bought kind. I love this!

~Amber~ said...

These look awesome! I have never made or ate gnocchi before but the crispness of what you made looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

looks good Ally!! Where in ATL are you?

That Girl said...

This is my favorite food of all time! Maybe that's why I'm afraid to make it!

gaga said...

Wow, that looks wonderful and makes my mouth water! I have some gnocchi that I made a while back sitting in my freezer. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but browning them and pairing them with apple sausage sounds fantastic!

Erin said...

Those look amazing! Holy cow! Yeah for extra time w/ summer vacation. Hope you're enjoying it so far! Gnocchi is on my to-cook list, and I've starred your recipe for when the time comes. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Congrats on your first gnocchi! I haven't made it myself yet, but I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks I'll get the chance since I'm working from home before baby comes.

Rachel said...

Looks amazing as usual!

Stephanie said...

Mmm, pan-fried gnocchi! I've only ever had them boiled, but now I'll have to try them browned - they look delicious!

Lani T said...

You've been tagged. See my blog for details. :-)

Jaime said...

wow, congrats on making your own gnocchi! the brown butter sauce sounds amazing!

Joe Horn said...

Love the blog, always enjoy reading it. I really like these gnocchi. I just made a gnocchi with choux pastry for the first time and it was incredible. Come take a look if you have a chance and let me know what you think. http://cookingquest.wordpress.com

Thanks so much!

Joe

Tessa said...

I don't have a ricer and couldn't find one at linens n' things...could I just use a regular potato masher?