Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Asian Chicken w/ Sauteed Vegetables and Brown and Wild rice

Tonight Chad and I were in the mood for an Asian inspired meal. I decided that it has been quite some time since I've cooked with Asian ingredients so I would give it a go. I decided to make a quick marinated chicken with lots of vegetables and brown and wild rice.

Just to note, I meant to make this a rice bowl of sorts, but it ended up on a plate. Same difference right?
I decided to use brown rice because I want to try to eat healthier. I remembered I had some wild rice taking up space in my pantry so I added it to the brown rice for a goof. Let me tell you, this rice does not take the normal 20-25 minutes to cook. More like 45-50 minutes. Thank God I knew that ahead of time so I could prep/marinate while it was cooking.
I loved how this came out, especially the marinade-which was made into a thick sauce while it simmered with the chicken. This meal definitely was Asian inspired, just how we wanted.

Chicken Marinade/Sauce
1 lb. chicken tender tenders tenderloin removed and cut into cubes
1/3 cup lite soy sauce
2 Tbs. Hoisin sauce
2 Tsp. oyster sauce
2 Tbs. mirin
2 tsp. sesame oil (dark)
1 large clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice
1/2 tsp. ginger

Whisk all ingredients together in a glass or plastic bowl and add chicken. Let marinate in the fridge 30 minutes to an hour. (I doubled the marinade so we'd have more sauce)

Brown and Wild Rice

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1/2 cup wild rice
4 1/2 cups water
2 tsp. canola oil

Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat and add oil. Add rices and toast about 3-5 minutes. Add water bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for about 40-50 minutes.


Veggies
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 can bean sprouts drained
1 can baby corn drained
2 cups Napa cabbage shredded
1/2 cup green onions chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 smallish garlic clove
1 1/2 Tbs. canola oil
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat a large skillet over med. heat and add oils. When heated add all vegetables except garlic. Add salt and saute for about 6 minutes. Add garlic and saute a minute more. Remove from pan to a plate and cover.

Chicken

Heat same skillet used for veggies over medium heat. Add chicken and marinade and simmer until chicken is done and marinade is thickened. About 8-10 minutes.

When all is finished you can serve in a bowl, or plate how you like. I mixed the components of my plate together. MMMMM.



7 comments:

Linds said...

This looks not only delicious, but a great healthy alternative to take out! Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Ally, when am I coming over your house for dinner? Because EVERYTHING you make looks so good! I love this with all the yummy veggies!

Bunny said...

ally my family would love this. in the spirit of blogdom i have tagged you for a meme!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I like how you used the same skillet for the veggies as the chicken - it helps keep the mess down! And I like how you doubled the marinade to get more sauce.

That Girl said...

The veggies are my absolute favorite part. I'm always so involved in the main dish that I forget about sides till it's almost ready!

Jaime said...

this all looks great! i'm amazed that you have such a well stocked kitchen that you can just whip this up!

i've been so busy lately, i'm still working on catching up on blogs...

Anonymous said...

Great-looking meal! I want to eat that first picture! I love that you used brown and wild rice. Sometimes I need a break from just plain white :)