Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chicken Kafta with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

Traditionally, Kafta is made with ground lamb (or a mixture of beef and lamb). In an effort to continue my healthy cooking habits I decided to use ground chicken. Kafta is either grilled on a bbq, or simmered in a sauce. I did neither. I decided to make use of the broiler on my oven, and it worked wonderful. The kafta is very simple, and doesn't use many ingredients. You wouldn't know it though because the flavor is so intense. I made a cool cucumber sauce with some left over yogurt, a little mint and cucumbers to serve on top (or just dip into). The sauce complimented the kafta well, I'm glad I made it (it was a last minute decision).

This was the first time I used ground chicken and I am really happy how the kafta turned out. I don't think I want to go back to red meat, it was that good!

Chicken Kafta
1 lb ground chicken
1/4 cup grated onion
2 tbs. fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. olive oil
1.5 Tbs. bread crumbs (I used this because the grated onion made the meat rather wet)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to broil
Mix all ingredients together and shape into oblong patties. Lightly oil an oven safe grill pan and arrange the patties on top. put in broiler and cook for about 5-6 minutes each side. (the temp may vary so keep an eye on them.)

Serve with a simple puree of cucumber, mint, and yogurt.

This is how I enjoyed mine, but they are just as good alone.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looks awesome!

Rachel said...

This looks really delicious! And the sauce sound so yummy! I love how you served it up in Pita bread with tomatos and lettuce! Almost like the falafel pitas I love. I am definitely trying this with ground chicken! YUM!!

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!!! My dad seriously JUST made this for me last week. Now I'm craving it all over again!

Tricia said...

these look fantastic!! what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. It's not really that unusual to ffind kefteh cooked on the broiler, at least not around here where you can't get to the grill for six months of the year. Using the chicken is a great idea.

nicole said...

This looks so good, I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

That looks really tasty! As much as I love lamb, I feel a little bad eating it (both for the cute furry animal and for the whole red meat thing). This will go into my "must make soon" file!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of this!