Thursday, June 26, 2008

Slow and Low Pulled Pork

A few weeks ago I bought a Boston butt, or, pork shoulder, if you will. I have meant to make a pulled pork probably every other day (bad me for no menu planning!)

The night before last was the night. I finally decided (remembered) that I had the pork, and it needed to be slow cooked. I seasoned it heavily, chilled, let come to room temp seared, and then roasted slow and low covered in the oven.
I contemplated using the slow cooker, but since I was to be at home that afternoon, I made the decision to oven roast.
Wow! The flavor was so delicious, and smoky (thanks to my liquid smoke). I know some poo-poo the idea of liquid smoke, but I am not able to grill so I had to get that flavor somewhere!
It wasn't a time friendly recipe, so if you plan to make this, do it when you have a half a day with nothing to do!

Pulled Pork

Rub ingredinets:
1 3lb. pork butt (boston butt; actually the shoulder)
2 1/2 Tbs. chili powder
1 1/2 Tbs. cumin
2 Tbs. smoky paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. cayenne powder (or less if you don't like spicy)
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. coarse salt
1 Tbs. pepper
2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 Tbs. canola oil (for searing)

Add all above ingredinets into a small bowl and stir to combine.

Pour rub over pork and rub it all over. top, bottom, sides, etc.
Put in fridge for 2 hours.
Take pork out and let come to room temp. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a baking pan with foil.
Heat a large skillet over med. heat. Add the canola oil and let it heat up. Sear pork on all sides until brown (in my case it got a little black, but honestly it didn't matter. It still tasted phenomenal)

Put pork in foil lined pan and cover tightly with foil.
Put in oven and cook for one hour. lower heat to 325 and cook an additional 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Take out of oven and let rest (cool a bit) then shred with two forks.

Serve with a homemade bbq sauce, or use a store bought like I did.


I only dipped though, there was already tremendous flavor from the pork on it's own. : )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! *THIS* is what I called pulled pork. Looks GREAT!

That Girl said...

ooohhh now I feel lazy that I always use the crockpot!

Elly said...

Mmmmm, yum ally! I have been meaning to make pulled pork forever and you may have just inspired me to finally do it :)

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love cooking it in the oven; it gets such great flavor this week. This is the same cut we use and we're planning on making it this week for July 4!

Maryanna said...

Mmmm. I'm going to have to try this recipe. DH always says to cook it "low and slow." He'd love it!

~Amber~ said...

Wow, this looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Tryed this "Pork Pull" over the weekend...thanks for the recipe it was great and simple. I used the sweet baby ray's too...used some of the leftovers with Food Wishes blog-stuffed corn muffins. If you haven't been to this site look it up ..it's worth your time. Thanks