Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Red Risotto w/ Sausage, Peppers and Mushrooms

Not your typical risotto, but it sure is tasty. I was a little uncreative trying to come up with things to do with the Italian sausage I had in the fridge. I thought about a baked pasta dish, but I really wasn't feeling that. Then I thought I'd make it easy on myself and just do sausage and peppers. Just then the light bulb appeared above my head. Sausage (Rinaldi brand thanks to my papa for bringing it down!!) and peppers risotto. So into the kitchen I went. As I rummaged through the fridge I saw some mushrooms that needed to be used up so I decided to add those. I also used up the rest of the fresh basil I had in there too. It's a good feeling when I don't waste produce. Honestly, it happens quite often lately with us having full weekends the past month.

This really was a great one dish meal. I made a lot, probably enough to feed 6. I'm probably going to get at least 4 more lunches out of it for Chad and I, which is great economically. As a matter of fact, this meal was very inexpensive. I used frozen tri colored peppers that I found at Trader Joe's. We all know that the price of fresh red, yellow, and orange peppers, are steep at the grocery.
Red Risotto w/ Sausage, Peppers and Mushrooms
1 lb italian sausage casings removed
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped tri colored peppers
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
4 oz (or 1/2 a package) of crimini mushrooms
1 package (16 oz.) of short grain rice
2 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dry red wine
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes pureed for a couple seconds, warmed (you want it to still be a little chunky)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce warmed
3 cups chicken stock warmed
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbs. fresh chopped basil
In a large skillet over medium high heat add olive oil until it shimmers. Add sausage, onions, peppers and salt and pepper. Cook breaking up sausage with a wooden spoon until all pieces are browned. Add garlic, oregano, and rice and cook a few minutes, stirring. Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook until all has been absorbed. Add tomato products and cook until liquid has been absorbed. In increments of 1 cups add chicken stock each time waiting until the last has been fully absorbed. When rice is cooked through add parmesan cheese and basil, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks great! I think this might go on the menu for this week.

Erin said...

Looks wonderful!!!!

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC! Seriously, I'm not even kidding that my mouth is watering just LOOKING at this. I can taste it now.... :)

That Girl said...

What a great idea! I don't think I've had sausage in a risotto, but sausage and italian are a natural combo!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! It sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors. I will definitely have to give this a try :)

Rachel said...

Yum!!!!!!

Erin said...

This reminds me of the infamous Dirty Risotto. I love a good one-dish meal like this, and it's a good feeling to clear out all the random produce in the fridge.

Jaime said...

yum! i am always looking for new ways to make risotto :)