Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pork Chops with Sundried Tomato Pesto Crust

I had no idea I would be making this tonight. I knew I had pork chops, but didn't know what to do with them. I always have this problem when I have chops. I looked for recipes online, but I kept getting recipes that paired the pork with apples. Blech. I mean I love a cold apple just like anyone else, heck, I even like apple pie. But for some reason the thought of baked apples on there own make me gag. And pairing it with pork, even worse. Please don't take offense if you are one of the gazillion people who enjoy this pairing, I am the weird one I'm sure.

So while I was having no luck in the recipe dept. I did come across a chicken recipe with sun dried tomato pesto. But then I lost it. But I figured, it's a pesto, I can make that without a recipe. So I did. And I spread it on the top of my chops. It was a brilliant idea, because those chops were the best I've had in a while. I served them on top of the polenta below.
This meal was very quick to make too. I think it was about 30 minutes from start to finish. Just call me Rachel. No, just kidding. Please don't. : )

Pork Chops with Sundried Tomato Pesto Crust
4 1" thick center cut loin chops
salt and pepper
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/4 cup wine
1/4 cup chicken stock

Pesto
1 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 oz. (1/2 a jar) of sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup or more olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Prepare the pesto by adding everything but olive oil to a food processor. While processing add olive oil through the feeder tube until it smooth but not runny.

Prepare the chops:

Heat butter and oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Season pork chops on one side (the unseasoned side with be topped with the pesto), and add to skillet. Sear a few minutes on each side making sure they form a nice crust. Remove chops and add wine and stock. Scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan and let reduce by half (5 minutes or so). Meanwhile spread the pesto on top of the chops. When liquid has reduced return chops to pan and bake in oven for 25 minutes. If the top starts to get to black cover with foil.

9 comments:

Ally said...

Emily, I ate it as a side. It made a lot, but I don't mind eating the leftovers. : )

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love new ways to make pork chops and these sound and look great!
Your polenta recipe may inspire me to try my hand at that as well!

Anonymous said...

Ally, you continute to make such creative, amazing looking dishes again and again. You are so insipring!

That Girl said...

I'm not a huge fan of sundried tomatoes, but I do something very similar with pesto and mozzarella, so good!

gaga said...

That looks great. If you don't like apples, I've also made pork chops (just pan fried with salt and pepper) with peach salsa on the side. I think the pairing goes really well and is great for a nice summer day. I'll definitely consider this next time though. Thanks for sharing!

Patty said...

I'm not a pork chop & apple person either! I love 'em on the grill though - these look great, I'll have to try it!

Patty said...

These look great - I'm not a pork chop & apple person either, the pairing is odd to me too! I'll have to try this!

Shelby said...

Hi Ally, I wanted you to know that I enjoy your blog and I have given you an award! Please check my blog out for the details!

Abby said...

What a wonderful idea! And the chops looked cooked to perfection. Yummy.