Monday, May 12, 2008

A Snack for my Husband (and me)

A few weeks ago Chad and I went to a chain asian restaurant (more like fast food) called Mama Fu's. It mostly serves stir fries and noodle bowls, but has a few appetizer items as well. I noticed that they had beef curry egg rolls. I thought that sounded interesting so we got an order to share. They were definitely yummy, but thought I could make them better. Chad loved them. Since I had some left-over egg roll wrappers in the fridge that were going to expire soon I decided to make this "snack" for our dinner tonight. The crispyness of the wrapper, and the spicyness of the beef, potato, pea and carrot filling were a match made in heaven. Although, I think the filling over some rice would be great too (and not as fattening).


Curry Beef Egg Rolls

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 carrot chopped finely
1 potato diced small
1/4-1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 onion grated (I used the food processor and processed the hell out of them)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbs. red curry
1 Tbs. garam masala
2 tsp. cumin
pinch or more of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chicken stock
6-8 egg roll wrappers
oil for frying

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and vegetables(except frozen peas) and cook until meat has browned. Add spices and chicken stock. Cook about 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Add peas the last few minutes. Set aside and let cool completely.
When mixture has cooled put about a Tbs. and a half of filling in the wrapper. (make sure it is perpendicular to a point of the wrapper). Wrap up like a burrito and brush flap so it seals. Repeat.

In the same pan (wash first) heat oil (about 2 cups, 1/4 way up a 10" skillet with 2" sides) until temp. reaches 300 degrees. Fry until golden and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve immediately. A yogurt based sauce would be a great accompaniment here, unfortunately I had no yogurt ; )

12 comments:

Liz said...

Those look so good! I also have some egg roll wrappers sitting in my fridge...

Anonymous said...

These look awesome! My husband would LOVE them! Seriously, I think he would love all your food. Thanks for helping me make him happy with all your great recipes!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. I'll keep this idea in mind next time I'm making eggrolls!

That Girl said...

Yay! I'm always looking for ways to use my garam masala

Shelby said...

This looks really good! I love indian spices!

Abby said...

Those look SO GOOD. My husband won't eat any kind of rolls from restaurants that aren't American (he's so afraid of fish ... or something in them. He's allergic to shellfish.)

But if I made them at home? Oh yeah, he'd totally go for it.

Anonymous said...

curry beef? great stuff! it's hard to cook stuff like this for just one person...too much work!!

Carrie said...

I will have to try these Adam would love them.

Jan said...

I will have to make those - they look delish!!!

Anonymous said...

your blog is the best on the web.

Keep up the good work, and thanks on this wonderful recipes.

This is my first visit, I am going to prepare something tonight from your recipes, but I can't decide!!!

Anonymous said...

Those look so good, but I agree; the filling over rice would be a bit healthier. Great pics, too!

Jaime said...

i wish i could eat something at a restaurant, then replicate it at home! i'm just not a cook; just a baker that follows recipes!

these looks soooo good!