Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday Night Supper



I love a well rounded, comforting meal on Sunday evenings. And because I have more time to prepare the meal on Sundays, time isn't of the essence. At our monthly trip to Costco yesterday, I picked up a 5 lb. pork loin roast for only about 13 bucks. Not only was I thrilled with how cheap it was, I knew that I would be able to get about 3 meals out of it. What a way to stretch the dollar!
I got home and realized that it was 2 loins tied together in butcher's twine instead of one. No biggie, I would use one for a roast, and cut the other in about 1 lb. pieces and freeze for later use.
I decided to prepare the roast tonight, because like I said, Sunday dinner's are all about comfort food. I didn't feel like potatoes or rice so I looked in the pantry and I found that I had some barley. For the greens tonight I remembered how I have been craving zucchini and since Chad isn't a fan I never get to make it that often. So I had sauteed some zucchini and yellow squash, and Chad had sauteed fresh green beans. To add the finishing touches, I made a simple pan gravy from the roasting juices left in the pan.

Herb Rubbed Roasted Pork Loin

*Rub Ingredients*

  • 2 Tbs. fresh rosemary leaves roughly chopped

  • 2 Tbs. Fresh sage leaves roughly chopped


  • 1 Tbs. Fresh thyme leaves roughly chopped


  • 3 Garlic cloves skin removed


  • 2 Tbs. olive oil

Put all ingredients in a mini processor and process until smooth.

Pork
Heat oven to 325 degrees.

With a sharp knife, cut a few slits into the pork on both sides. Generously salt and pepper each side. Take the rub and massage it onto the pork using your finger to push some into the slits.

heat large skillet to med. high heat and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Sear meat on all sides until you get a nice brown color. Put into shallow roasting pan and cook for an hour and 15 minutes, or internal temperature reaches 155. (generally 30 minutes per pound, mine was about 2 1/2)



1 comments:

bakingblonde said...

I made this tonight and LOVED it! I added some garlic as well because it went with the roasted vegies I served. I love that the searing of the meat kept it nice and juicy and created a too die for crisp exterior!