Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sesame Chicken Teriyaki Skewers


I have been craving teriyaki for about 2 weeks now. Every time I add it to my menu for the week, something comes up and I don't make it. Under no circumstances was I going to let that happen again tonight.

I remember a recipe my Aunt gave my mom for teriyaki chicken wings. They were so good, but I remember the recipe having so much oil in it. I looked for it so I could modify it, but to no avail. I decided that I would just wing my own recipe.

For a side dish I knew I wanted to do white rice, but I wanted something more than plain rice. I looked in the pantry and I had a can of water chestnuts, and bean sprouts. Chad and I love these two ingredients and that's why I added them to the rice while it cooked. It turned out so delicious, I will be making my plain white rice like this again. I also served this with roasted baby asparagus that I made in my toaster oven.

Teriyaki Marinade

  • 3/4 cups soy sauce

  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

  • 1/4 cup sesame oil

  • 3 Tbs. ketchup

  • 1 Tbs. brown sugar

  • 3 cloves of garlic minced

  • 1/2 " of fresh ginger peeled and minced

  • 1/2 tsp dried basil

  • 1 tsp. pepper

  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne

Whisk to combine

I used thin chicken cutlets that I cut in half length wise. I added them to a large ziplock then added the marinade and put in the fridge for about 5 hours.

Special White Rice

  • 1 1/2 Cups long grain rice

  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter

  • 1 tsp. kosher salt

  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

  • 1 can water chestnuts drained and chopped

  • 1/2 can bean sprouts drained

  • 3 cups chicken stock
Bring chicken stock, and butter to a boil. Add salt pepper and rice. Let boil one minute reduce heat and add chestnuts and sprouts. Cover and cook 15-18 minutes.
**Before you begin the rice place bamboo skewers in water and let soak for about 30 minutes.**
Sesame seeds

lay 1/4 Cup sesame seeds in an even layer on a lined cookie sheet. Heat oven to 325 and let toast for about 3-5 minutes. You won't use that much for this recipe, so save extra in an air tight container.

Sesame Chicken Teriyaki Skewers
While Rice is cooking, take Chicken out of bag and reserve the marinade in a small sauce pan. Thread the skewers through the chicken accordion style. When all the chicken is skewered heat marinade over med. low heat and add a tsp. of corn starch slurry. Let reduce for about 8 minutes.
Heat up a large grill pan over med. heat and cook skewers about 2-3 minutes per side.

Take marinade off heat and brush the chicken skewers with it and sprinkle chicken with toasted sesame seeds. Drizzle teriyaki reduction over rice.


1 comments:

~Amber~ said...

These look excellent!!