Thursday, August 14, 2008

Healthy Tuscan Style Soup

I am a huge fan of soup, and I really believe that I will be even more while I'm doing this WW thing. It fills me up and I can put tons of healthy veggies in and not feel guilty for eating just a little bit more. Tonight's soup was inspired by one of my Dh's (and mine) favorite soups, Zuppa Tuscana. But this one is healthy, only 233 calories per serving and 6 g of fat. If you are doing WW like me it is only 4, points!!

This made about 6 large servings but the ingredients can be modified to make a smaller or larger batch.

Healthy Tuscan Style Soup
serves 6

1 link Oscar Meyer Smoked Sausage (3.5 servings)
1/2 onion diced small
1/2 cup celery diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup crimini mushrooms chopped
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup quick cooking barley
1/2 cup great northern beans
1 Tbs. Light Butter (I used Land O Lakes)
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 1/2 Tbs. parmesan cheese
3 cups kale chopped
2 tsp. ground basil
2 tsp. ground oregano
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Heat oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and mushrooms and potatoes and saute about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sausage and cook about 4 minutes more. Add broth and water and scrape up the bits from the bottom. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the milk and cheese and bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil lower heat and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove pot from burner and whisk in milk and cheese. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love zuppa toscana soup! I will sooo be trying your healthy version. Thanks for posting!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Whenever we go to Olive Garden (gasp!) my husband will order this soup - its one of his favorites! Thanks for sharing a healthier version :)

#1SAHM said...

This looks so good! Just in time for the Fall when I love making comfort foods! : )

That Girl said...

It still looks so creamy!

Patsyk said...

That looks like a perfect soup for cooler days!

I plan to make Sunday my soup making day once we get into September. I find that if I have a hearty soup for lunch I can manage to skip some of my afternoon snacking - a plus when you are trying to lose a few lbs!