Sunday, August 17, 2008

Healthy Turkey and Portabella Lasagna

I was so excited that my Publix had the whole wheat lasagna noodles I was looking for. I really didn't think they would for some reason. So to celebrate my find I decided to create a healthy lasagna. I knew I'd be using ground turkey, but I wanted some more substance. I thought about zucchini and portabellas and thought that would be a wonderful combination. Until I got home and realized I didn't get the zucchini, Ugh. I left my grocery list at home and forgot not only the zucchini, but a few other items as well. I need to remember to put that darn list in my purse immediately after completing it, this wasn't the first time I forgot it.

I ended up calculating the WW points for this meal, and I couldn't believe my eyes when it came out to only 2 points per serving!! I served this meal with a fresh salad and another one of my favorite finds Maple Grove Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I only had one serving of the lasagna, but I could have had two and not have felt an ounce of guilt. Chad did have two, but he didn't have a salad.
I used WW's recipe builder to calculate the points and Spark recipes to calculate the nutritional info. For some reason when I plug in the info from Spark recipes the point total comes to 3. I'm trusting the WW site though, I like the sound of 2 points much more than 3. ; )

Healthy Turkey and Portabella Lasagna
(serves 9)

1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. light butter
1/4 cup onion diced
1/4 cup green pepper diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbs. fresh (or dried) basil chopped
1 Tbs. fresh (or dried) oregano chopped
salt and pepper to taste (for sauce and turkey)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you want it spicier)
1 cup no salt added tomato sauce
1 cup no salt added diced tomatoes
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1/2 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. sugar
7 whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 small portabella caps thinly sliced
6 Tbs. part skim ricotta
1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella
2 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil until heated. Add onion and pepper and cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic, basil, oregano, bay leaf, red pepper flakes salt and pepper. Let cook for about a minute more. Add tomato products and chicken broth stir to combine. Add sugar and let simmer about 20 minutes.
While sauce is simmering brown turkey and cook noodles. Only cook noodles for about 7 minutes so they are a little more "dente". You will need to fit the noodles to the pan like I did. I ended up cutting off a bit off the ends and ended up using it for my bottom layers.
Grab a small square (9x9 I believe) pan and put some sauce on the bottom. layer the cut noodles on the bottom. put a Tbs. of ricotta on top of the pasta and spread evenly. add portabellas, then mozzarella, then a bit of the Parmesan and finally some sauce. Repeat with the next layer. On the final layer add the rest of the sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan (you will have used the ricotta up by now). Cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook 5-8 minutes more letting the cheese get nice and bubbly. Let sit about 5 or so minutes before cutting into 9 servings.
Calories 136.4
Total Fat 4.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 24.4 mg
Sodium 420.0 mg
Potassium 210.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 12.5 g

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so full of color and variety and flavor. And healthy too. Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOVE portabellos! And I love how you really lightened his dish up! It certainly looks JUST as delicious as a regular lasagna!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That sounds way to good to be healthy!! I would love a big slice of that lasagna!! Love the nutritional info, I have tagged several of your recipes as "must tries"!!!

Anonymous said...

How many lasgana noodles did you use??

Michele said...

I still can't get myself to eat whole wheat pastas...but with this creation I might just give them another try. Your lasagna looks delicious!

Ally said...

Bakingblonde- I just realized I never put that info in there! I used 7 whole wheat lasagna noodles. I believe it was Ronzoni brand. I had to cut the ends off (almost in thirds) to fit them in the pan, then I ended up using them for the bottom layer. Hth!

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious! I don't like ground beef in my lasagna, but I think turkey would be great. I love the mushrooms too. It's nice that this is healthy as well!

That Girl said...

I make my own whole wheat lasagne noodles - LOVE it with ground turkey!!