Monday, July 7, 2008

Inexpensive Steak Roulades


Cubed Steak. Probably the cheapest cut in the meat aisle. They were so cheap that I bought 6 of them. I have a stand by recipe for them but I am trying to eat healthy so that option was out. To me, this type of cut tastes best when it is slowly cooked for about an hour or more so that was my intention, but I had no idea what else I was going to do with them.
I had some baby spinach, and low fat provolone in the fridge so I got the idea to stuff and roll them. I wanted to make it similar to a Bracciole, minus a few ingredients.

After pounding the steaks to flatten

I stuffed them and rolled. At first I put toothpicks to secure but I realized that they were pretty much staying secure without them. I dusted them with flour, seared on all sides and then added low sodium beef broth. I covered and let them simmer for an hour. When I took them out I saw the cheese sort of oozed out a bit, but oh well. (maybe I should have left the toothpicks in!) I simmered the sauce a bit to thicken and served it over the orzo I prepared as a side.
I am pleased how this recipe came out for 3 reasons. 1.) The meat is SO cheap! 2.) It tasted out of this world! 3.) It is HEALTHY! Woot!


Inexpensive Steak Roulades
(feeds 4-6)

6 cubed steaks flattened between plastic wrap
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 onion sliced
1 Tbs. canola oil
about 5 sprays of pam
1 can low sodium beef broth

Filling:
1 1/2 cups baby spinach chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat crackers crumbled
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup low sodium beef broth (from can)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

preheat oven to 350.
Bring meat to room temperature and season with the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and onion powder. lay one piece of provolone cheese on top. Add about a Tbs. of the filling. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. dust with flour.
Heat a large skillet over med. heat and add oil and butter spray. Sear meat on all sides

and add onions and remaining beef broth. Cover and put in oven for 45 minutes to an hour.


Calories 224.5
Total Fat 8.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat3.6 g
Cholesterol56.8 mg
Sodium587.0 mg
Potassium 514.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 26.8 g

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks so good. If only DH didn't have health issues with beef, I'd make this at home!

Anonymous said...

I love your twist on an inexpensive meat! What a way to glamourize it!

That Girl said...

There's actually a fantastic sale on this at my local supermarket, so I put it on my list and plan on making smothered steak!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, I never thought of using cube steak that way. I'm thinking trying cubed turkey or pork steaks might work as an alternative as well. Thanks for the recipe.