Monday, May 19, 2008

Citi's Chicken (Katie's gma's chicken)

Katie, a friend of mine on The Nest recently posted about her Citi's chicken recipe. When I checked out her blog I put it on my menu for the week. It is basically an oven fried chicken, but different than I've ever seen. The breading and marinade is what drew me to the recipe (and the fact that I love fried chicken). This breading consists of oats and corn flakes. The marinade uses yogurt and wine. All of these ingredients sounded wonderful together and I knew it would make a great chicken dish. I ended up marinading the chicken overnight to ensure it would have the most flavor.

Chad and I loved it. So crispy and delicious. Thanks Katie for a great recipe!

Citi's Chicken
(Good Things Catered)

Ingredients:
6 chicken thighs
6 chicken drumsticks
1 egg
1 c. yogurt
1/8 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white wine (of chicken stock if you don't use alch.)
2 tsp salt (I love Lawry's garlic salt for this)
2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 c. flour
3 c. cornflakes
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh oregano

Directions:-

Clean and pat dry chicken pieces.
-Place chicken into a large freezer bag.
-In a blender, combine egg, yogurt, olive oil, wine/stock, salt and pepper and blend on high to whip together.
-Pour mixture over chicken and seal bag.
-Make sure marinade is covering all pieces and sides of chicken and place in fridge to marinade.-Marinade chicken at least one hour and up to 24.
-Preheat even to 400 degrees.
-In bowl of food processor, combine remaining ingredients and pulse to a coarse meal, cutting the spices into the breading.
-Remove from bowl of food processor and place in a shallow dish or wide
-bottomed bowl.
-Line a baking sheet with heavy duty tinfoil and top with wire baking rack.
-Remove chicken from fridge and with a set of tongs, pull one piece of chicken out of the marinade, shake to remove excess and dredge in breading mixture.
-Cover completely in breading mixture, shaking lightly to remove excess, and place on wire rack.
-Repeat with all pieces of chicken.-Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and place baking sheet in oven.-Bake until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees, about 50-60 minutes.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Looks so, so good!!!

Anonymous said...

Ally, it looks amazing! Your pictures always make the food look SOOOOOOO delicious!! And I LOVE it with the cheesy grits! YUMMY! YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

This looks interesting! I like the idea of using oats in the breading - and the garlic salt!

~Amber~ said...

Looks and sounds just as wonderful as it did when Katie posted it! YUM

Jan said...

Love the pictures and of course the recipe, looks delish!

Erin said...

I like the idea of oven baked fried chicken. This looks like it's not lacking in flavor, too. My husband will love if I make this for him.