Monday, May 19, 2008

Cheesy Grits with Roasted Corn and Shallots

Last Sunday after church Chad and I went to lunch. We wanted to try a restaurant near us that is said to have amazing brunches, unfortunately when we got there the wait time was like an hour. Both of us starving, we decided not to wait. I did however grab a to-go menu so I could see what I was missing out on that day.

The menu did look awesome. I was pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to have some grits, which was one item that caught my eye. I imagined them being creamy and cheesy and I wanted them. I still did tonight.
Tonight I decided to make grits. To dress them up I roasted some frozen corn kernels and sauteed some shallots and garlic. The best part is the cheese. Oooey gooey cheese and grits, what is not to like? I am a content woman.
Cheesy Grits with Roasted Corn and Shallots
1 1/2 cup grits
2 tsp. oil
2 Tbs. chopped shallots
1 Garlic clove minced
2 1/2 cups milk
3 cups chicken stock
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed
1 tsp. oil
1 1/2 cups cheese (you can use what you have on hand or like, I used colby/jack)
1 Tbs. unsalted butter

Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat and add oil. Add shallots and garlic and saute a few minutes add liquids and bring to a boil. When liquid comes to a boil wisk grits in a steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.

While grits cook, heat oven to 400. Toss corn kernels with oil and lay on a small baking sheet. cook 15-20 minutes until corn starts to brown.

Uncover the sauce pan and toss in the parsley, cheese, corn, and butter, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love grits! These look awesome!

That Girl said...

cheesy grits are my fave! Yum!

I tagged you for a meme:
http://katorade.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-hope-you-werent-looking-for-food.html

Anonymous said...

I'm a grits gal, too, but I always have to make vast quantities to satisfy two requirements: the 7 mouths I feed for each meal and the absolute, non-negotiable need to have leftover grits so that I can make fried cheese grits.

Yes, it is that important! My Grandma raised me right!!

Leigh said...

How do you roast frozen (thawed) corn kernels? I think of roasting corn the same as grilling whole cobs with or with husks.

Thanks...I can't wait to try this.