Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Bean and Pasta Soup

I made this soup last week solely for the fact that I needed lunch the next day. I toyed with the idea of whether or not I was going to leave the white beans whole, or puree them. I decided to puree one can of the beans and leave the other 2 whole. This is one of those soups where you just add ingredients as you go. I checked what was in the pantry and fridge and just threw it all in. Turned out great and now I have some extra portions in the freezer that I can bring to work the next time I have nothing to bring.

Bean and Pasta Soup
2 cans cannelini beans
1 can garbanzo beans
9 cups chicken stock
4-6 strips of bacon diced
2 tsp. olive oil
1-2 cups penne (or what ever pasta you may have on hand)
2 srpigs fresh thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 carrots sliced
2 celery stalks sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high until crispy. Remove from pot and and drain all but 2 Tbs. of fat. Add onion, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, celery and carrots. Saute until onions are soft. Add garlic and saute a few minutes longer. Add stock and one can of the cannellini beans. Let cook for 20 minutes and blend with an immersion blender, or transfer 1/2 the soup to a blender. Add the rest of the beans and penne and cook for 15 minutes longer.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love most any broth based soup with beans, but this one looks amazingly good! I bring soup to lunch everyday so I'll have to try this one week! Looks great!