Friday, February 29, 2008

My First Daring Bakers Challenge

What is a daring baker?

She/he is a person who loves anything having to do with flour, butter, sugar, yeast (or rice flour, tofu and agave for some of us! hee!) and the opportunity to better their baking skills

This is the most recent description that I have read about the DaringBakers.
After months and months of drooling over the pictures of many daring bakers blogs, I decided that it was time to join in on the fun. So I requested to be a member, and the next month I was given the challenge (recipe).
When I got the recipe, I was wondering what I got myself into. Julia Child? French Bread? I copied and pasted the recipe into a word document, and it was 14 pages long. I gasped. But, I was determined to make an attempt. I set aside President's Day to make the bread since I didn't have to work. And I was glad I did. I started at 11am and it was finished (but not ready to eat) at 9:00pm.
I have to say, the recipe was not at all difficult, and the 14 pages were more explicatory than anything else. The rising time, is what took the longest, but preparing the dough was fairly simple.

I would like to thank Breadchick of The Sour Dough and Sara of I like to Cook for giving me the opportunity to brag about making my first french bread. : )
I am so proud to have completed my first challenge, and I am even more proud to be a part of this wonderful group of foodies.
You can check out the other DBer's blogs with this month's challenge Here.
And Because the recipe is pretty long, here is a link to it .







21 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! It came out amazing, especially for it being your first French Bread. Congrats on a successful first DB challenge!

Jaime said...

wow! those turned out beautifully! congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bread! You did an awesome job! :)

Chou said...

Congratulations on surviving the bread! :) Welcome.

Gretchen Noelle said...

You should be very proud of yourself! You made some great French Bread worth bragging about! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!!!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL! CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO DARING BAKERS!!! WOoooooHOOoooooo!!!

Rachel said...

This looks AMAZING!!!!

Mer said...

Looks good! Welcome aboard. :0)

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Sorry if I accidentally comment twice, but my computer is acting up- Congratulations on your first challenge, WELCOME to the DARING BAKERS!!! You did a beautiful job :O)

breadchick said...

Welcome to Daring Bakers and your French Bread looks picture perfect.

Thanks for baking with Sara and I!

~Amber~ said...

Great job Ally!!! Congratulations on successfully completing your first DB challenge. Your loaves look absolutely beautiful.

L Vanel said...

Those baguettes look excellent! We survived the first challenge!

Joy said...

Your bread looks fabulous - you got such a great colour on your loaves. I hope you enjoy being a Daring Baker!

Lunch Buckets said...

Congratulations, you're loaves turned out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Ally, your bread looks fabulous! The slashing is awesome. welcome to the DB world :)

That Girl said...

Your scores are beautiful!

Sara said...

Looks beautiful, well done!

Unknown said...

Your bread looks beautiful.

Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Lesley said...

Nice bread! You got a great shine on your crust, very yummy!

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks wonderful. Congratulations on your first successful challenge. This was a tough one to cut your teeth on, but you did a great job.
Jane of VeganBits.com

Angel said...

Wow your bread looks so professional! It looks like it has great texture and consistency. Maybe next time i can get my bread more like yours.