Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chicken,Tasso and Andouille Jambalaya

Tonight's dinner was inspired again by what needed to be used in the fridge. I had a chicken breast, 1 link andouille and some tasso. It was between a gumbo or this jambalaya. Jambalaya won. Only because I didn't feel like slaving over a stove tending to a roux. There are so many different variations of jambalaya that there really isn't a "right" way or a "wrong" way to make it. I prefer a red jambalaya, while others omit tomato products. I just think it gives it a little more flavor and blends well with the red hot spices I like to add. If you don't have tasso on hand, don't worry you can omit it. I had to buy about 4 lbs. of the stuff last time I was in New Orleans and froze it as soon as I got home. And as far as the andouille sausage, well you can substitute with whatever sausage you like. This is a versatile recipe so feel free to add and omit ingredients.

Chicken Tasso and Andouille Jambalaya
1 chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper and pan fried
1 cup andouille sausage (1 link) cut in half, then in half again and chopped
1/2 cup tasso chopped in small pieces
1/2 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 cup of onion finely chopped
1/2 cup green pepper finely chopped
1/2 cup celery finely chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. cajun seasoning (I like Tony Chachere's)
2 tsp. hot sauce (I like Crystal's)
1 1/2 cup long grain rice
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
8oz. can No Salt added tomato sauce

Heat a large heavy pot over medium high heat and add canola oil. Add tasso and andouille and saute until rendered, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add butter and melt. Add the trinity (onions,peppers,celery) and saute until onion starts to brown. Add garlic and rice and saute for a couple minutes more. Add all meat and combine in pot. Add wine to deglaze and scrape up the bottom bits. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. lower heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and add more hot sauce if desired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me with what you can "throw together"! I need to use stuff from the fridge it's plain-old chicken and mushrooms. YOU do and it's an amazingly beautiful (and yummy sounding) jambalya. Yeah...total jealousy. lol.

Jaime said...

i love jumbalaya! i'm with katie, i'm so not the kind of cook that can just throw things together.... i need a recipe! so thanks for sharing your recipe :)

bakingblonde said...

Wow! This looks so good, I am going to make it Monday night for some friends!

Lidian said...

That looks absolutely delicious! I linked to this post as I was writing about a horrid 1960s canned jambalaya and wanted to show the right way to do it!

Cheers, Lidian

Chris Petty said...

Looks delicious! I sure wish that I had some tasso stashed away in my freezer too...well at least I can find andouille at Publix.