Monday, December 10, 2007

Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes

My friend Jen's bday was last Friday. And Jen loves her peanut butter banana sandwiches, so I thought I'd make a treat for her birthday. I couldn't wait to try this recipe either. The picture looked so good, I couldn't resist. I made these after the Nestie ornament get together, so I admit I was a little tipsy. ; ) But even with my buzz, they came out wonderfully. I love the caramalized banana on the top, and the suprise peanut center is delicious!

Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes with Caramel Glaze
(this is the original recipe from Chockylit, I made some modifications)
11 tablespoons unsalted butter
9 ounces best-quality semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chips)
5 ounces best-quality bitter-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used milk choc. chips)
1-1/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 medium banana) (I used 1 cup/2 med. bananas)

1. melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate over a bain marie
2. whisk together eggs and sugar
3. add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, mix to combine
4. add melted chocolate/butter mixture, mix to combine
5. stir in mashed banana
6. fill cupcake tins about 1/3 full, drop a teaspoon of peanut butter mixture into each tin, top off with cupcake batter to about 2/3's full
7. bake for ~20 minutes or until a crust forms on the cupcakes

Caramel Glaze
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons half and half
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter
2. add milk and brown sugar, stir to combine
3. boil vigorously for 1 minute
4. remove from heat and beat in 1/2 cup powdered sugar
5. cool slightly then and beat in the vanilla and remaining powdered sugar, add more half in half if necessary (I used a couple more Tbs. of milk and 1/4 cup more sugar)
6. quickly spoon over cupcakes before glaze sets

1 comments:

Kayte said...

these look incredible ally! yummmm