Sunday, December 16, 2007

Banana Nut Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars

Now that'a a mouthful. It seems that whenever I have bananas there are always at least 2 left waiting to be baked into something sinful. I didn't want to do a bread or a muffin, and Chad wanted cookies. I probably browsed about a thousand recipes looking for a crispy banana chocolate chip cookie, but to no avail. So I decided to make a bar instead. I used this recipe as a guide but added a few extra ingredients.


Banana Nut Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 medium mashed ripe bananas (I used 2 med.)
1 large egg
2 cups (I only used one cup)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

I added:
1/2 cup toffee bits
1/2 cup pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 350
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in bananas and egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture; stir in morsels. Spread into prepared jelly-roll pan.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

6 comments:

Elly said...

Wow, these look SO delicious. I definitely need to try these soon.

Carrie said...

Those look really good. I have some frozen mashed bananas, I know what I will be using them for :-)

Anonymous said...

Guess who just received a large amount of bananas? ME! I'll be stealing this recipe fro my consumption. lol.

Jaime said...

mmmmm ....these look amazing! i love finding new ways to use up over ripe bananas :)

Robin said...

These look delicious!!

Anonymous said...

i made these last night, using only 1 tsp of bkg powder so they were chewier, more like brownies. also, i sprinkled chocolate chips and skor chips on top before baking. they turned out great! i recommend for anyone who loves baked sweets.