Sunday, December 2, 2007

Smoked Turkey Monte Cristo

Wow. This sure is The Sandwich of Sandwich's. After church Chad and I usually go out for a light lunch, but since we had gone grocery shopping yesterday we decided to eat lunch at home. I bought some great French Boule bread from Trader Joe's and I was excited to use it for sandwiches. As I was looking for exciting ways to make my turkey sandwich, I remembered the Monte Cristo. Not the battered and fried one from Bennigan's, but the french-toast type.

I looked for some advice on cooking online but ended up doing it my own way. This is a huge sandwich, I cold only eat half. The slices of the boule were about 7" long, so this can definitely be something you share.
Smoked Turkey Monte Cristo
  • 3 slices of french boule bread (you can substitute and egg bread or just plain white bread)
  • 6 slices smoked turkey breast
  • 2 slices fontina cheese
  • 2 slices havarti cheese
  • 1 Tbs. seedless raspberry preserves
  • 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbs. milk
  • 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • powdered sugar for dusting

Butter 2 sides of the boule and flip. Layer turkey and on two sides of the boule. Layer cheeses on top of turkey. Mix together the raspberry and dijon and spread on both sides of the unbuttered piece. Assemble and cut in half. Mix egg and water, and dip both sides of the halved sandwich. Melt butter in a med. sized sauce pan over medium heat and when it foams add the sandwich. Let cook for a couple minutes and flip. Repeat with the other half. Dust with powder sugar and enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a big comforting sandwich! The smoked turkey and fontine/havarti combo sounds fantastic!

Carrie said...

This sounds AMAZING! YUM!