Sunday, December 2, 2007

Curried Beef and Vegetables

Last Friday a friend made curry chicken for our lunch club. Since then, I have been wanting more of that spicy flavor. I had some chuck cut up for stew so I thought that I would make a curry dish with it. I really ran with this idea and just started thinking of what I had on hand to throw in the 'ol cast iron skillet. It took a while to cook, but unless I wanted chewy meat I had to let it simmer for a couple hours. And within those couple of hours I was asked when it would be ready a dozen times. You see, the aroma of this dish coming together is hard to ignore. And oh how it will make your stomach growl. So I suggest if you plan to make it you find something to do outside in the yard. : )

Curried Beef and Vegetables
  • 2 lbs. beef chuck cut into cubes
  • 1/2 cup flour (for dusting)
  • Salt and Pepper for seasoning beef
  • 3 Tbs. canola oil
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 1/2 cups 2% greek yogurt
  • 1 green pepper sliced into 1/2 in pieces
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 large carrot sliced
  • 2 large potatoes diced
  • 1/2 " ginger finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. curry powder
  • 1 Tbs. garam masala
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp. ground coriander
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. paprika
Dust the beef with flour and in a large skillet over med. high heat add oil. Brown beef on all sides, about 4 minutes and transfer to another plate. Add onions, pepper, carrot and potatoes. Saute for about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and spices and cook a few minutes more. Add tomatoes and deglaze the pan with the juices getting all the bit from the bottom. Add yogurt and mix well. Add browned beef back to pan. Add beef broth (warmed) and stir to combine. Let simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil add almonds and simmer another 30-45 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curry is a great seasoning!! I look forward to giving your curried beef and vegetables a try.

teeth whiteners