Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Peanut Butter Cup Cake



I have been wanting to make this ever since Peabody of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody posted it in her blog. When I saw this cake, I immediately copied it and put it on my "to try" list so I could make it in the future. Everything in Peabody's blog is amazing, I mean really amazing. And whenever I have an itch to bake I tend to check out her blog to find unique ideas.
I decided to make the PB cake tonight because my girlfriend's birthday is tomorrow. Me and a few other friends are treating her to lunch (we are ordering in) so I thought this would be perfect occasion to make a special cake(s).

I bought little tart pans just for this recipe. I loved Peabody's presentation, so I wanted to replicate it. They turned out wonderfully (although not as pretty as Peabody's), and tasted even better.

Although time consuming for a non-baker (well, not an advanced baker that is), I am looking forward to making these again. Chad can't wait either (he loves Reeses Pb cups), he was out of town when I made them. Next time I'll be making them just for him.


Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Chip Cake


  • 2 ounces unsalted butter

  • 1 cup all purpose flour

  • 1/4 tsp baking soda

  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/2 cup tightly packed brown sugar

  • 3 ounces creamy peanut butter

  • 1 large

  • egg yolk

  • 1/4 cup sour cream

  • 1/4 cup hot water

  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 325F.
Grease three 9 x 1 1/2 inch pans.(I personally used just one 9 x 13 pan). Line your bottoms with parchment. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix together brown sugar, peanut butter and butter for two minutes. Add egg and egg yolk and mix for another 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and mix for another minute.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated about 20 seconds. Then add the sour cream, mixing again for 20 seconds. Gradually add the remaining flour mixture. Add the hot water in a slow, steady stream and mix on low to combine, about 30 seconds. Add the vanilla and mix for another 10 seconds. Add the peanut butter chips and use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the ingredients until thoroughly combined.

Divide the cake batter into the prepared pans, spreading it evenly. Bake for about 22 minutes. If you have 4 inch diameter tart pans like I used, it takes the same amount of time to bake the cake, if not a few more minutes. Use a knife to see if it is done.


Source: Death by Chocolate Cake by Marcel Desaulniers

Chocolate Glaze
6 ounces semisweet chocolate

4 TBSP unsalted butter


Break chocolate into small pieces and place in a small stainless steel bowl over a pot of hot(not boiling)water. Melt the 4 TBSP butter in a small saucepan, and skim off the white foam that rises to the top. When chocolate is just melted, stir in the clarified butter(discard the white solids left behind). Set aside until chocolate is 86F.


7 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Looks wonderful! Great job. Now I want a PB cup. :)

marias23 said...

Wow, this looks so good. I'm a PB nut myself and this is an absolutely must-try for me!

Jaime said...

i wanted to try this after seeing it in peabody's blog too, but my DH doesn't like PB so i haven't gotten around to making it yet...

i think you did a great job.... it looks so tasty :)

Caroline said...

This may be the most delicious-sounding and -looking thing I have ever seen. Now I just need an excuse to make it!

Cara said...

holy yumminess!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

YUM!! I died over this one as well, I am a huge pb & chocolate fan, I'll have to try it sometime, it looks great!

Peabody said...

So glad they turned out!