Monday, October 15, 2007

Beef and Barley Stew with Portabellas

Even though the temperature outside isn't quite stew weather, I was in the mood for it nonetheless. I can't believe the weather lately, 80 degrees mid October?! I'm not sad by any means, I am not a fan of the cold, but I do worry that this weather trend is a bit odd.

Okay, back to the stew.. I never make beef stew without barley. It is one of those ingredients that I have to add or it doesn't seem complete. Stew recipes, beef in particular, are very diverse and I see many that add tomatoes. I'm not a fan of tomatoes in my beef stew so I omit them. I tend to add vegetables I have on hand but typically use the basics (carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic). Tonight I decided to add some portabellas to make it a bit heartier. The stew turned out delicious and it was very comforting. Perfect for a long Monday at work.

Beef and Barley Stew with Portabellas
  • 1 1/2 lbs. stew meat cut into cubes and seasoned with salt and pepper
  • Salt for dredging
  • 2 celery hearts chopped
  • 1 large carrot chopped
  • 1 small yellow onion diced
  • 3 small or 2 medium white potatoes peeled and chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 Tbs. fresh flat leaf parsly chopped
  • 6oz. portabella mushrooms chopped
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 4 Tbs. canola oil
  • 7 cups beef stock
  • 1 1/4 cup pearl barley
Heat large pot over medium heat and add 2 Tbs. of oil. Add stew meat that has been dredged in flour. Sear until all sides are browned. Transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil and add all vegetables except garlic and potatoes. Saute until vegetables are wilted and soft and add garlic, potatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper,thyme and parsley. Saute a coule minutes longer. Add wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan scraping browned bits off the bottom. Add stock and stew meat back to the pot. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer 40 minutes. After 40 minutes add barley and let cook 45 minutes more. Serve in shallow bowls with dinner rolls or crusty bread.

2 comments:

Elly said...

Looks great! I don't like tomato-y stew either. I am actually making lamb and barley stew tomorrow :)

Mrs. in May said...

This looks great, I am not a tomato in the stew kind of girl either!