Sunday, July 22, 2007

Last minute Dip for a bbq



  • My mother was throwing a bbq birthday party for my step-dad and a close family friend. She asked that everyone bring their favorite steak, and a side. I was having trouble deciding what to bring since veggies, salad, potatoes, and dessert were covered. The lovely ladies of the "What's Cooking" board on the nest gave me great ideas, but I decided to wing a dip recipe.

    I went to the grocery store and bought a couple of red peppers, fresh basil, cream cheese and Italian blend shredded cheese. I thought I would throw this together with some other ingredients and make a dip. Instead of chips for dipping, I wanted to do something a little different. I got the idea to do a fried farfalle from a restaurant called Copeland's.
    It all came together quite nicely, and we had a blast at the party! Happy Birthday Daddy!!!

    Roasted Red Pepper Dip

    2 Roasted red peppers
    3 roasted cloves of garlic
    1/2 C. Mayo
    1 block plus 3oz. of cream cheese softened (I used a little square of the Philadelphia brand)
    3 Tbs. Fresh basil cut into a chiffonade
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. dried minced onion
    olive oil
    salt and pepper
    1/2 cup-1 cup Italian blend cheese

    Preheat oven to 375
    Roughly chop red peppers. Arrange on foil lined baking sheet and add garlic cloves in their skin. Add about 2-3 tbs. olive oil and add salt and pepper. Toss a bit to coat. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes.

    While peppers and garlic are roasting, combine cream cheese, mayo, minced onion and basil together in a bowl. When peppers and garlic are done roasting transfer to processor and process until you have a puree.

    Add to cream cheese mixture and toss in 1/2 to 1 cup of Italian blend cheese. Bake in oven (375) for 15 minutes.

    Fried Farfalle

    1 lb. farfalle
    2 cups bread crumbs
    3 eggs
    splash of milk
    Oil for frying

    Boil pasta according to package directions. Let cool. Combine eggs and milk and whisk together. Dip pasta in egg, then bread crumbs. Over medium high heat in a large skillet with 2" sides fry in oil until golden.

2 comments:

bakingblonde said...

I made this tonight and it was a total HIT! Our neighbors and we LOVED it! Thanks for another keeper Ally!

Anonymous said...

the close family friend in the story was my daddy!!!! i love your site!