Sunday, July 22, 2007

Awesome Au Gratin!


I had originally wanted to make this for the BBQ yesterday, but like I said in my last post, the potatoes were already covered. So I decided to make them tonight with leftover mushroom crusted pork chops I ordered from a restaurant (Wildfire Grill) on Friday. The portion was huge, and it was enough for Chad and I to share for leftovers.

The potatoes came out great, and I'm very pleased with the recipe. It's a keeper!



Au Gratin Potatoes


  • 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes sliced very thin
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped vidalia onion
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 cup of milk (2%)
  • 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 3 Tbs. flour
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar/jack blend
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly gated nutmeg
  • Salt and Pepper



For the Bechamel

Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat and add onions. Saute for about a minute and add garlic. Saute for another minute and add flour. Whisk until smooth and add milk slowly Whisking the entire time. Add nutmeg and Salt and pepper. Let come to a simmer and remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 375.

Grease a small casserole with butter and layer 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom. Layer the bechamel over the potatoes, and then add a layer of cheese. Complete this layering process until all ingredients are used. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, and remove the foil the last 15 minutes to let the cheese get nice and browned.

9 comments:

Stefanie said...

That looks great! How do you get the potatoes sliced so thin? Do you have a special slicer?

Ally said...

Nope, no special slicer. I just used a really sharp knife! ;-)

Stefanie said...

Now I'm double impressed! Maybe I need a new knife, cuz I know I couldn't cut that evenly or thinly consistently. Great job! Love the blog!

Trisha said...

oh.my.gosh. those potatoes look amazing!

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness, this looks decadent! :)

~Amber~ said...

I am not usually a fan of "soggy" potatoes but this sounds heavenly! I starred it so I can make it some time.

Kayte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayte said...

this looks absolutely delicious! i have never had potatoes this way and i have never made bechamel so i really need to try this recipe.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Everthing looks amazing on your blog including these Gratin Potatoes. They are one of my favourites!!!! I will have to try your recipe...they look so cheesy!!!