Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge: Pizza!


For this month's challenge we were to make "Pizza Napoletana” from Peter Reinhart's “The Bread Baker's Apprentice". Our host this month was Rosa of "Rosa's Yummy Yums".

Now I've made pizza before, so I wasn't really intimidated. But the recipe was a bit different than how I usually make it. Not a hard recipe to follow, but just different. I usually make the dough and bake it the same day, but this recipe had it rest in the fridge overnight. I was really excited to use my new KA mixer to help me, it was a bit easier than working the dough by hand (minus the kneading). Oh, and we needed to capture us throwing the pizza like a real Pizziola. This is me (not a great pic, but it worked just fine!)
Here are my balls (lol) ready to refrigerate
I have to say, this was a great recipe! I cut it into 6 pieces, and used two tonight for our dinner, and plan to use the rest later, per the freezing instructions.
I made Chad's ( homemade pizza sauce, mozzarella, turkey pepperoni, and parsley)

And mine (tomato sauce, feta, black olive, parsley and fresh grape tomatoes)

The crust was so crispy and flavorful, the perfect consistency.

Just look at that yummy-ness!

Big thanks go out to Rosa for a great challenge.

For the recipe including Gluten Free instructions visit Rosa's blog.

****I dedicate this post to Sherry, your fervor for baking still inspires.****

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice toss - did you catch it!

That Girl said...

It's about time you Daring Bakers made a pizza. This looks fantastic.

Ally said...

I did catch it!! Chad was pretty impressed too! Total fun, I can't wait to toss the other dough I have left!

Cate said...

I am SO impressed you tossed the dough! I can't do that!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great tossing and yummy looking pizzas! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

zorra said...

You are a real pizzaiolo! Well done.

~Amber~ said...

Great job Ally! Your pizzas look fantastic. Great job tossing the dough.

Patsyk said...

Nice job! Your pizzas look great!

Engineer Baker said...

Ooo, I love feta on pizza, so that combo sounds wonderful. Nice tossing too.

Ruth said...

Your toss photo is great and your pizzas look delicious

Barbara Bakes said...

I think that's the highest toss I've seen. Your pizza looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome toss! Your pizzas look great. I love feta on on pizza too!

Lori said...

What a pretty little pizza! Very yummy looking.

Anonymous said...

I love your toppings! Feta and tomato is one of my favorite combinations. I like the picture of you tossing the dough too :)

Big Boys Oven said...

is that the flying saucer in your kitchen . . .that is such fun . . . . I would love to do it for you too . . .. lovely pizzas . . .. did not do any was busy with a wedding cake, have a look at my blog.....

Anonymous said...

Look at that dough fly- Great shot!

Megan said...

Very nice toss and tasty looking pizza! I have some in the freezer too and I'm ready to have another go at it!

Megan said...

Very nice toss and tasty looking pizza! I have some in the freezer too and I'm ready to have another go at it!

Anonymous said...

Great toss picture. Kudos to the photographer! And to you! Your pizzas look amazing. Great job!

zorra said...

Your are a real pizzaiola!

PAM said...

Good job on your tossing and your pizza dough looks so chewy & good and I bet your pizzas tasted great also.

A said...

Looks delicious! I like the first one better (not much of a vegetarian :P!) Great job!

Unknown said...

yum! your pizza crust looks like it had a nice rise!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Nice tossing and what an amazing looking pizza!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed at your tossing skills - my dough was so soft that just picking it up stretched it too much!

Jaime said...

wow, great tossing pic! your dough turned out so well. wish mine wasn't so hard to work with, i think i messed up somewhere