Sunday, August 3, 2008

Swedish Chicken Meatballs

So I have been MIA. I have had a lot on my plate lately, so there wasn't much time to blog, or cook for that matter.

Now that things are a bit calmer I had the incredible urge to get back into the kitchen. I'm still on the healthy kick so when I went grocery shopping earlier today I picked up some ground chicken.
I wasn't sure what to do with it though. I thought about burgers but I really wasn't in the mood for them. I don't know what sparked it but I got the idea to make swedish meatballs. I kind of threw this together but it came out great. I served this over ditilini pasta but you can serve this over a pasta shape you like or over rice.


Swedish Chicken Meatballs

Meatballs:
1 lb. ground chicken
2 Tbs. egg substitute (or 1 egg)
1/4 cup whole wheat saltines crushed
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. fresh chopped parsley
Butter spray

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together with hands. Shape into meatballs. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter spray. Add meatballs and brown on all sides. When meatballs are evenly browned on all sides remove from skillet and set aside.

Sauce:
2 Tbs. onion finely chopped
1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
3 Tbs. Reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium/ FF chicken broth
1 Tbs. parsley
Butter spray as needed

Heat canola oil in the same skillet as the meatballs. Add onion and mushrooms and saute 4-5 minutes. Add butter and butter spray and add flour. Stir to make a roux and cook about a minute. Add Broth and scrape bottom of skillet to get up the browned bits. whisk until smooth. Add Sour cream and stir to combine. Add meatballs and parsley and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.

10 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Thanks so much for posting this! Because we don't eat beef, we welome chicken and turkey recipes. I'm a fan of swedish meatballs and look forward to making it with ground chicken. :)

Michele said...

Mmmmm...looks and sounds fantastic! And since I'm on a soft food diet for the next few months I will definitely be making this. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! This looks like a wonderful, healthy alternative to the usual beef meatballs. I've never had Swedish meatballs, but I definitely want to give them a try.

That Girl said...

Swedish meatballs are on my list of things I'm dying to try.

Anonymous said...

This looks sinfully delicious, but is actually not bad at all. LOVE IT! I'll have to try making this for DH. YUM!

Bridget said...

I'm not sure how exactly I came across your blog, but I'm so glad I did!

These look delicious! I am definitely going to make them!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

your meatballs look fantastic. great post!

Patsyk said...

My family would love those meatballs! I'm adding this to my never-ending list of starred recipes on google!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds like something I would LOVE!!! MMM I Love your recipes!

Arlene Delloro said...

Your dish looks delish! Love ditalini, too.