Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Balsamic Reduction

If I were Rachel Ray I'd probably describe this dish as "Delish" or "Yummo". But because I'm me I'll say it was Freaking Fabulous. The taste of the fresh reduction with the ever so tender pork loin was amazing. This was so simple to do too. The cook time for the pork was about 20 minutes from sear to oven. While it rested I whipped up the reduction and sauteed some squash and zucchini.

The reduction was perfect. I had some blueberries left over from a pastry I made and needed to use up what was left. This was a healthy dinner too, so no worries there.
Pork Loin
1 lb pork loin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Pam
2 tsp. canola oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Bring pork to room temperature and season. Heat a medium/large skillet over medium heat and add pam and oil. Sear pork on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side, or until it has a nice deep brown color. Transfer pork to oven and cook for about 10 minutes, or until a thermometer read 145. Take out of oven, transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest about 10 minutes.
Bluberry Balsamic Reduction
1/4 cup onions finely chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 cup blueberries
2 tsp. water
1 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
1 Tbs. red wine
1 Tbs. fresh chopped basil
1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
Using the same skillet as the pork, add onions and cook about 2 minutes. While onions are cooking add blueberries and water to a microwave safe dish. Cook about a minute and a half. Smash a bit with a spoon. Add garlic to pan and cook a minute more. Add chicken broth and scrape up bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients and reduce by 1/2.
Slice pork and spoon sauce over the top.
Calories 258.7
Total Fat 10.7 g
Saturated Fat 3.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat1.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat4.5 g
Cholesterol93.4 mg
Sodium517.3 mg
potassium635.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate5.3 g
Dietary Fiber0.9 g
Sugars0.8 g
Protein32.6 g

16 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Blueberries in the air! The blueberry balsamic reduction looks wonderful and I love the creativity of flavors! Great job using your leftover blueberries :)

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! You don't see blueberry sauces much, so this is a nice change of pace. I'll have to keep this is mind to make sometime soon :) The vegetables look good too!

That Girl said...

I love the thickness of the loin, it looks so juicy!

Anonymous said...

I am usually not a fan of fruit in savory dishes but for some reason this sounds amazing! Nice job.

Shelby said...

I like freakin fablous! This looks great!

Chibog in Chief said...

this is something i would order in a five star hotel's restaurant...i just love it!

Melissa said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog for details :)

Lia said...

hi am new here u have great recipe over here!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting up from the computer to take out the pork loin I have in the freezer. Guess what we're having for dinner tonight? This looks soooooo juicy and amazing, Ally.

Anonymous said...

YUM!! What a GREAT idea and what a beautiful meal!

Anonymous said...

I made this and it was delicious. I cited you in my blog post. Thanks for a good meal!

Anonymous said...

Tag! See my blog

Michelle said...

I never thought to put blueberries and pork together but it sound fabulous!

Jaime said...

blueberry reduction? great idea. this looks fabulous

The City Sage said...

Hi Ally,
I'm always so amazed at your ability to find recipes that are not only unusual but healthy and delicious looking too! I'm putting this one and the turkey meat loaf from a little while ago on my "must try" list!

Cristine said...

What a wonderful recipe! I made it tonight and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks! :)