Monday, August 11, 2008

Sinless Sloppy Joes

I think the last time I had a sloppy joe was when I was in college. I really have nothing against the sloppy joe, it's just that I feel my tastes have developed past that beefy, tomatoey, loose meat on a bun.

Until tonight. I really wanted something simple, easy and still stay in my realm of weight watchers points. Thats when I thought of sloppy joes. Since I had a few whole grain, light English muffins left I decided that would be our bun for this school lunch classic I was about to make.

I calculated the nutritional info on using the sparkpeople recipe calculator. Then I checked the point values on a chart I have been using on the web. It looks as though 1/2 cup of the meat mixture is 4 points.

I thought that 1/4 cup was 4 points so I did even better eating tonight than I thought!


WW Sloppy Joes

1 lb lean ground meat
1/2 cup onion diced small
2 cloves garlic
Pam spray
1 1/2 chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbs. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne (only if you want the added heat)
1/2 cup no salt added tomato sauce
1 Tbs. tomato paste
1/4 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish

Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add the Pam spray. Add onions and cook until transluscent. Add extra lean ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon. Add herbs, spices and garlic. Continue to cook until meat is almost cooked through. Add the tomato products and water and simmer until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Serve on 1 point english muffins for a 5 point sandwich.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Great idea to serve it on an english muffin!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks great! I miss having sloppy joes (my husband doesn't eat beef) but I'll live vicariously through your sloppy joe dinner :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, those look delicious! Manwich has nothin on you! :)

Maryanna said...

Sinless.... even better.