Monday, February 25, 2008

Yellow Rice with Sofrito and White Beans

To go along with the pork I decided to make a sofrito rice. I found a recipe on epicurious that looked great, but of course with some tweaking, I think I made it better. I wanted that same southwest-y flavor that complimented the pork. So I added a couple more ingredients, and basically added more of what was called for. It was the perfect compliment to the pork, and I see this being something I make again soon.

Yellow Rice with Sofrito and White beans
(Gourmet Magazine, December,1995)
For sofrito
1 tablespoon minced onion I used one medium onion finely diced
1 tablespoon minced red or green bell pepper I used one whole poblano pepper finely diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander sprigs I omitted but added ground coriander
1 small garlic clove, minced I used 3 large
2 teaspoons olive oil Upped to one TBS.
1/4 teaspoon turmeric upped to 2 Tsp.
3/4 cup long-grain rice Used 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups water I used 3 1/4 cups Chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt I used 2 Tsp.
My Additions
I also added 1/4 cup white wine
2 tsp. cumin
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. ground pepper
1 can great northern beans drained and rinsed.

Make sofrito:
In a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan cook onion, bell pepper, coriander, and garlic in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add turmeric
(and cumin) and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in rice, and salt and pepper and stir until rice is toasted about 2 minutes. Add wine and let cook a couple more minutes. Add stock and let come to a boil uncovered, without stirring, until surface of rice is covered with steam holes and grains on top appear dry, 5 to 8 minutes. Add beans at this point and Reduce heat to as low as possible and cook rice, tightly covered, 15 minutes more. Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes.

5 comments:

bakingblonde said...

What a way to jazz up some rice Ally! I bet this would be great with some chicken as well!

Jaime said...

what a flavorful side dish!

Elly said...

Oh yum, this looks so delicious. Definitely need to give this a try!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea! Alone it sounds okay, but paired with that pork it just looks fantastic!

Terri said...

This looks really good. And, using a poblano pepper instead of a green pepper is such a great idea. I don't like green peppers and they don't like me, but I love poblanos. I am going to try your recipe, but I am going to get out some of my old recipes that use green peppers and start making some substitutions.