Monday, February 25, 2008

Spicy Rubbed Roasted Pork Loin


Oh man did I have a time thinking of how I wanted to cook this roast. I bought it on sale, and I was determined to prepare it this evening. I browsed probably a million recipes, and nothing really stood out to me. So once again, I started to throw things together. One thing I did do is brine the pork one day ahead of so it would lock in the flavors, and ensure a moist and tender roast. I think I was in the mood for something south of the border, or southwestern, because all the spices I used were of that family of flavor. I will probably add a little more of the seasoning and let sit for about an hour in the fridge the next time I make this. Or I may make a sauce out of the drippings. But tonight, I was just too hungry to do all that. It came out perfect, and moist like I had hoped. I think I will be brining all my pork roasts in the future.


Brine:
1 gallon cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs. peppercorns
2 sprigs each of fresh rosemary and sage

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the boiling water and add to cold water. Add rosemary and sage. Let water cool completely before adding pork. Add pork and put in the refrigerator overnight.
When ready to use, rinse and pat dry.

Rub for pork
1 Tbs. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 garlic cloves
1 Tbs. spicy mustard (dijon will work)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 sprig rosemary leaves removed
2 sprigs thyme leaves removed
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt

Put all ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth. Score pork with a sharp knife in a few places and spread rub all over pork. Let sit for about a half hour until pork comes to room temperature.


1 onion quartered
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chicken stock

preheat oven to 325 degrees
Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil. Sear pork on each side until well browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Cover and cook about an hour or until internal temperature reads 140. Take out of oven and remove from pan. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve

5 comments:

Linds said...

Looks delicious! Great idea about brining the pork- you can totally see the moistness. I will be trying this with my next roast as well.
Thanks for the tip!

Jaime said...

this looks great! i am always afraid to cook pork but i realize it really isn't that hard... i'd love to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! I have been wanting to try making a pork loin for a while now, so I'll have to keep this recipe in mind!

Anonymous said...

You can't beat meat in a brine! This looks delicious! :)

Rachel said...

To ditto what others have said, I can't wait to brine the pork roast I have in the freezer!! What a great idea.