Sunday, January 6, 2008

Simple Pot Roast with Vegetables and Barley


Sunday evenings and pot roast. So cliche, but so true. I always want something of the like to start the week off right. And Sunday is the best day to let a roast... well, roast for a couple hours. Going back to school after being off for 2 1/2 weeks is going to be tough. So I definitely needed my comfort food. I just made a simple roast, no wine, no fancy veggies (unless you consider parsnips fancy) and no crazy spices. Just your basic pantry and crisper/counter staples. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but I was already having so many veggies, I wanted more of a grain. I looked in the pantry and contemplated the quinoa, but decided on the barley. I think I would pick barley over any grain. It is just that good to me.
So after a delicious and stick to the ribs meal that I paired with a glass of Ravenswood Cab, I am now blissfully sitting on my couch watching tv And Trying very hard not to block out the image of chaos that will start my week. Sigh.

Simple Pot Roast with Vegetables
1 2 1/2 lb. chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
flour for dredging
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbs. canola oil

Vegetables:
2 large parsnips peeled and chopped in large chunks
2 large carrots peeled and chopped in large chunks
1 med. onion large dice
3 celery stalks chopped in large chunks
1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic chopped

Seasonings
3 sprigs fresh thyme
tsp. oregano
tsp. basil
Kosher salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup beef broth

I used my cast iron skillet for this, but any large oven safe pot or dish can be used.
preheat oven to 350
In a large skillet (or the like) heat oil over med. high heat. After seasoning and dredging roast, sear meat about 5 minutes on both sides to get a deep brown color. Set meat aside.
Add all veggies to pan and saute until onion is starting to brown, add garlic. Saute for about 4 or 5 more minutes and remove veggies. Add broth and seasonings and deglaze the pan. make sure to scrape up the browned bits on the bottome of the pan. Return roast, then veggies to the pan. Cover tightly with foil or a lid. Put in oven and cook 1 1/2-2 hours.
You can make a pan gravy from the excess in the pan by adding a flour or corn starch slurry to the pan over medium heat and bringing it to a boil. Let simmer a couple minutes and serve over roast, veggies and barley.
Obligatory Fork Shot : )

3 comments:

~Amber~ said...

It looks wonderful Ally!! It makes me want to take a big ole bite and I do not even care much for pot roast.

Anonymous said...

Lots of great recipes. Thanks for sharing. All the best in the new year!

bakingblonde said...

YUM!! I love the picture. This is on my list to make this week. I love roasts and new ways to make and serve them. This recipe will be perfect with some mashed taters on the side!