Saturday, January 5, 2008

3 Bean Chili

After a very productive day of cleaning and organizing some areas in our home that have needed it badly, I needed something fairly easy to throw together for dinner. I had a lb. and a half of ground beef that needed to be used, but I just couldn't come up with anything. Until I logged into the nest that is. There were at least 3 posts that referenced chili. I asked Chad what he thought about having chili for dinner tonight and he was all about it. So that is what I madeI remembered that I bought 2 poblano peppers a few days ago for another recipe I didn't end up making so I was very happy to be able to use 2 of them.
I didn't follow a recipe, I just improvised. And the best part was I that I used one pot, one knife, a cutting board and a wooden spoon. Clean up was a cinch!


3 Bean Chili
1 1/4 lb ground sirloin (seasoned with salt and pepper)
1/2 lb smoked sausage diced
2 Tbs. canola oil
1/2 large Vidalia onion medium dice
2 Poblano peppers medium dice
2 celery stalks finely chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 Can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans with juice
1 can northern beans with juice
1 can kidney beans with juice
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup beer
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
2 Tbs. cumin
4 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. paprika
1 bay leaf
3 Tbs. Flat leaf parsley chopped
2 tsp. white sugar
Heat large soup pot over medium heat and brown seasoned ground beef. Drain fat from pot, and wipe out exess with a paper towel. Add canola oil to pot and return to med. heat. Throw in all veggies except garlic and the bay leaf. Saute until onion is slightly brown about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and diced smoked sausage. Saute for a few more minutes (until sausage renders a bit).
Add ground beef and spices except sugar. Stir to combine and cook about 3 minutes. Throw in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Let simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings.

4 comments:

Kayte said...

wow ally! that looks incredible! my mouth is seriously watering. my DH will not eat chili so i never get to make it :-(

Carrie said...

I normally only make my chili with chili beans but this looks AWESOME! I am going to have to try this!

Renea said...

Mmm that looks delicious Ally!

Unknown said...

Chilli looks great, thanks for sharing:-)
X M