Monday, December 17, 2007

Cheddar Herb Dinner Rolls


I was in the mood to bake tonight as well as looking for something to go along side the dirty rice dish we were having. I wasn't looking to bake something sweet, instead I wanted a hearty, earthy, dinner roll. It took some time looking for a recipe, but I came upon this one on allrecipes. I followed the recipe as written except used the herbs I had on hand and added a little more butter. Oh, and I added cheddar cheese. Everything's better with cheese, right?

I was suprised how simple it was to make these dinner rolls. Since we will be traveling out of town on thurs. I didn't make the entire batch. I just didn't think me and Chad would eat 24 rolls in a couple of days. I ended up freezing them, so I can have them again without as much work.
One thing I will do next time is add a little more sugar, cheese and herbs. Otherwise they were a very nice compliment to our meal.


Cheddar Herb Dinner Rolls
My modifications are in red
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 cup milk, room temperature
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened (I used 3 Tbs.)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (I used thyme)
6 cups bread flour (I used AP)
I added about one cup of shredded cheese
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS
In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water. Let stand until creamy; about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, stir together the yeast mixture with milk, eggs, salt, butter, parsley, chives, and 4 cups flour. Add cheddar cheese, the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough has pulled together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Grease two 9x13 inch baking pans. Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball, and place into the prepared pans. Cover the rolls with a warm, damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with 2 tablespoons of water; brush egg wash over tops of rolls.
Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

5 comments:

Annie said...

These look wonderful! I love to freeze rolls to have on hand for any dinner. At what point in the process did you freeze - after the last rise? After the egg wash?

Ally said...

I freezed after the last rise. No egg wash. I am hoping they turn out well when I cook them again!

Anonymous said...

Wow Ally! Those turned out so beautifully! They look divine.

~Amber~ said...

Yum, these look wonderful Ally! Nothing better than homemade rolls.

Carrie said...

I love bread! I will have to try these!