Monday, December 17, 2007

Cheddar Herb Dinner Rolls


I was in the mood to bake tonight as well as looking for something to go along side the dirty rice dish we were having. I wasn't looking to bake something sweet, instead I wanted a hearty, earthy, dinner roll. It took some time looking for a recipe, but I came upon this one on allrecipes. I followed the recipe as written except used the herbs I had on hand and added a little more butter. Oh, and I added cheddar cheese. Everything's better with cheese, right?

I was suprised how simple it was to make these dinner rolls. Since we will be traveling out of town on thurs. I didn't make the entire batch. I just didn't think me and Chad would eat 24 rolls in a couple of days. I ended up freezing them, so I can have them again without as much work.
One thing I will do next time is add a little more sugar, cheese and herbs. Otherwise they were a very nice compliment to our meal.


Cheddar Herb Dinner Rolls
My modifications are in red
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 cup milk, room temperature
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened (I used 3 Tbs.)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (I used thyme)
6 cups bread flour (I used AP)
I added about one cup of shredded cheese
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS
In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water. Let stand until creamy; about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, stir together the yeast mixture with milk, eggs, salt, butter, parsley, chives, and 4 cups flour. Add cheddar cheese, the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough has pulled together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Grease two 9x13 inch baking pans. Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball, and place into the prepared pans. Cover the rolls with a warm, damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with 2 tablespoons of water; brush egg wash over tops of rolls.
Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

6 comments:

Annie said...

These look wonderful! I love to freeze rolls to have on hand for any dinner. At what point in the process did you freeze - after the last rise? After the egg wash?

Ally said...

I freezed after the last rise. No egg wash. I am hoping they turn out well when I cook them again!

Katie said...

Wow Ally! Those turned out so beautifully! They look divine.

~Amber~ said...

Yum, these look wonderful Ally! Nothing better than homemade rolls.

Cooking and the City said...

Wow those rolls look good!!. love the brisket too, yum. great recipes. if you like stop by my blog

cookingandthecity.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

I love bread! I will have to try these!